Last Monday was my first day at my new dream job. Yes, this outfit is a week old because I just didn't find the time (or energy) to prepare this post during my first week. It was a crazy-hectic week! It had been so long since I started a new job, I had forgotten how awkward it can feel to have to learn your way around a whole new building, a new computer network, a new set of procedures and a new group of people. Just learning the names of all 200+ people in the building is going to take months!! :) It's funny how even a person who is incredibly skilled and experienced can suddenly feel completely incompetent in a new environment. I think it's good for me, though. I certainly can't see myself having any issues with complacency any time in the near future! ;-D
After much debate with myself regarding what to wear, I ended up going with this purple satin blouse from Victoria's Secret and a plain black pencil skirt. I know my readers were leaning toward a dress/blaser combo, then removing the blazer later in the day, but I didn't have any long-sleeve dresses that would look right with my blazers... And in order to remove the blazer, I would've definitely needed long sleeves underneath until I could ascertain whether visible tattoos would be acceptable. As it was, one feisty older administrative assistant promptly informed me, in good humor, that I was overdressed, so it's probably best that I kept the jackets at home.
I did take my readers' advice in terms of makeup! I went with a dark shimmery silver in the crease, a soft pink on the lower lid and my usual pearly light pink below the brow bone. I stuck with the dark brown brow powder to keep my eyebrows from getting too dramatic, and used black shadow on a damp angled brush to create a soft eyeliner on the upper lid. I finished with a single coat of mascara, soft blush and the same mild lip gloss I wore for the interviews.
I think this version of my subtle, work-appropriate eye makeup is far superior to the terra cotta shade I attempted for the interview look. What do you think?
![]() |
| New Shoes for a New Job! |
Don't forget that my annual Red & Black Week is coming up June 3-9. That's less than a week away! I hope you are all thinking about post ideas for the big event. ;)
All images and text © Sophistique Noir Gothic Fashion Blog. Do not use any photos or text from this blog without providing a credit to me and a link back to the original post.





18 comments:
Congrats on the new job! I'm sure you'll be awesome. :)
I'm so excited for you, darling! ***SQUEE*** Wahoo!!!! And let me tell you -- YOU LOOK MARVELOUS! Simply and utterly professional, dark and divine. That purple is gorgeous against your skin, and it brings out your eyes wonderfully. I'm glad that you wore a hair flower and side bun -- it's a bit of a signature for you, and one that works quite well. Besides, it's fun and sassy!
belated congrats on the new job!! i meant to comment on your interview/make up posts but time flies and all.. love the purple top with the silver pearls. best of luck with everything and hope you can work in your regular office fashions little by little!
I love this outfit and agree that the purple and silver is a great combo. I'm always overdressed for my office (entire floor, really) but I like feeling like I'm going to work. ;}
Congrats! This outfit is really cool, I love that pencil skirt, it's perfect! Also your makeup is pretty! Your colour compinations are so good :)
-Sara
autumn, coffee and inspiration
Cute shoes! Thats a nice way to treat yourself for having a new job. :). I love the colour on your satin blouse, it flatters you. It will be interesting to follow your progress on you new job.
I think the most confusing on a new job is the vokabulary, it's like different cultures. When I worked in the steel industry different companys had different names for everything. At my recent job they talk alot in contractions and in english terms. Blended with the swedish language it becomes swenglish and sounds quite silly.
Wow, it all sounds sooo frustrating to me...:P I mean, it would be frustrating for me to be the "new gal" and all that comes with it, but I believe, it's just the matter of time to get used to it. ^^
You looked fabulous, and very professional! That purple is amazing! ^^
Were you really overdressed compared to the other employees?
The Blouse is a lovely colour, it really suits you :)
pah, being overdressed is totally fine as long as you look good. and you do look good, great, awesome,... so wear whatever you want i guess!
<3
*Fingers crossed for visible tattoo acceptance.* xD
I neeed that blouse! Xxx:)
You look jaw-droppingly stunning in this outfit. Way to make a fantastic first impression!
You look stunning in that outfit! :) And the makeup looks great too. Very work appropriate!
Have a lovely day! :)
/Madam Noire
Wow, you're looking great!
I love the blouse (my favorite shade of purple!) and skirt combo, and the new shoes are very cute. Good choices on the eyeshadow colors. :)
You look absolutely fabulous. Congrats on the new job. I just started a new job myself, about six weeks ago. It's difficult being the new kid, but if it's a good place, they'll go out of their way to welcome you. I am so glad I left the old job, and I hope that you will be happy at your new place too.
Ms. Lou, thanks for the vote of confidence!!
Le Prof., thank you! I do think this shade of purple is my soulmate from the color wheel. :) The hair flower was mis-matched, but my other purple flowers were too big for the first day. ;) But hey, most different purples look good together anyway!
liz, I totally understand! This whole situation has cut into my blogging time, for sure. :) Thank you for your sweet words!!
princesadeplata, very well said! I love feeling like I'm the best-dressed person in the office. Then no one can say that non-conformists are rebellious or have poor taste!
Sara, thanks! The pencil skirt was from Target. Such a great deal!
linnea-maria, of course. How else would a fashion blogger reward herself for landing a great new job? ;-D OMG, I know what you mean about the vocabulary. I'm doing the same job in the same industry, but they use different words for everything! And the acronyms... They have acronyms for everything; I'm going to need a cheat sheet or something. ;) LOL about the Swenglish. THAT must be extremely entertaining!
Lynoire, yes, it's frustrating, but I guess that's part of paying my dues. I know I will impress them once I get up to speed! As for being overdressed, I was a bit compared to some of the other employees... But overall, people at this job dress a LOT nicer than people at my last job. There are quite a few ladies here that dress very classy. I'm a little sad because I'm no longer hands-down the best-dressed girl at the office. ;) I have competition now! lol.
Alexandriaweb, thank you! I'm not really used to tucking in, but this blouse has such a nice drape that I started to feel good about it.
kakuidori, I agree! I'd rather be overdressed than the office slob. ;)
Emocarebear, I did see one gentleman with a forearm tattoo today... And he was a VERY normal-looking guy. So, it's looking promising!
V, you can get it at Victoria's Secret, online. :)
Leia, aww, thank you! What a wonderful compliment!!
MadameNoire, thanks! That's a huge compliment coming from you, one of my makeup idols!!
Caroline Carnivorous, thanks!
Sal, thank you!! :)
Bane, of course. :) And thank you!
Pixel Pixie, congrats to you, as well! It's awesome to know I'm not the only one out there going through this transition, and that you are enjoying it so far!
Congrats on the new job. I just started following your blog a few months ago, and I love your looks, this one included. I am especially digging the black pearls.
Post a Comment