Click photos for larger view.
I honestly cannot remember where I found this fun satin top. What I do remember is I thought is was so adorable I snatched it up, took it home and it sat in my closet unworn for, oh, around 10 years. I’m fine with a bare midriff, but this top was too extreme. Recently while I (yet again) pondered getting rid of it, I thought to pair it with this high-waist skirt that I’ve worn on this blog several times.
I was quite delighted by the 40s-50s feel this outfit has, back when the exposed midriff was always done minimally and well above the belly button (like this and this). It reminds me of an outfit Lana Turner wore in this legendary scene from The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946): although it’s totally different look, the subtle sexiness is similar. Rita Haywaorth was known for this look, too.
Check out this image of a vintage 40s sewing pattern with a very similar outfit to mine (but in green). I was so excited when I found this image. I was totally channeling the 40s when I put this look together! :)
My new shoes are satin platforms by Pleaser with a super-long ribbon wrapped around the ankle. I think these are a perfect match for this flirty skirt. I only bought these because when I ordered the Demonia Victorian lace knee-high boots I only had to spend $20 more to get free shipping. So it was like getting these shoes for half price! :) I was craving a different texture from my usual patent shoes, yet the non-patent “leather look” doesn't really go with my style, so these were the perfect solution.




12 comments:
Totally adorable! Sheeze, it must be the week for Gothy Retro fashion. :) Or great minds think alike!!!!
I love this look!! The shoes are scrumptious, and I would die for your slim midriff. xxoo
PS: What's around the shoe? It looks like some kind of sparkly scallop detail. Kudos to you, darling, for being able to wear a shoe like that. With this darned toe I can barely wear a tiny heel! :( *insert major shoe envy*
Again, you look adorable! :)
You could wear that satin top with a corset too!
Love the new shoes. I love any shoe with an ankle tie!
Goth forties beach outfit! I love it! Also those shoes are to fabulous. I love the scalloped edge.
I agree with Hexotica. ^^ actually, I have a top, similar to this one and I always wear it with a corset too...hm, I think, I'm going to wear it tomorrow...^^
Your outfit is lovely anyway...not my style, but lovely. ^^
What a beautiful outfit, as usual! :) I'm in love with that skirt and the shoes!
Seeing some of the comments I have to add... I totally agree with Hexotica and Lynoire, this top would look awesome with the corset.
Lovely outfit, very romantic and I liked the links to the vintage patterns and glamour gals. I was going to mention (as well) that the top would be great with an underbust corset or waist cincher.
Jessica
I noticed your shoes at the first glance! They are so adorable. This outfit is so cute. I think you could wear the top with a longer armless lace top under or a top with some textured material.
Those shoes are amazing! I adore that shape shoe and heel :D
Le Professeur, I think you are right! :-D I love a blend of Goth and 40s glamor almost as much as I love the blend of Goth and Victorian. Oh, and the shoes are trimmed with scalloped patent leather. I love the contrast int exture!!
Lourdes, thanks! *giggle*
Hexotica, I did try it with an underbust corset, and the puffy top didn't feel right to me with the sleekness of the corset. It would work nicely with an overbust (I don't wear those often, but I do have one quality overbust that would work).
Sabayon, thanks so much! I would totally wear this to the beach, with a parasol and sunglasses and maybe minus the tights.
Lynoire, I think this would go great with an overbust corset, although I usually wear underbust. I'll try it sometime!
Kamyria, thanks! This is currently my favorite skirt. :)
StyleVamp, thanks! I love to look at patterns and glamor photos from the 40s and 50s. SO inspiring!!!
linnea-maria, I love the idea of a lace top underneath this one. I will try that next time. Thanks for the suggestion!
Enigma, thank you. This is my favorite shoe style, for sure!
Post a Comment