Click photos for larger view.
I think it’s probably obvious by now that, aside from the stylized bat tattoo on my shoulder, I don’t often adorn myself with Halloween iconography. But this top was just screaming at me in a little shop on Melrose quite a few years ago. He’s such an adorable little guy, and I love the mix of textures with Mr. Bat being sheer. I love to pair this top with my PVC corset, and this time I thought the ruched fishtail skirt from Newport News seen here and here would be a good companion to the snug, long-sleeve top. Barely an inch of skin showing, yet I felt awfully sexy wearing this to the club.
So, can you tell I have socks on underneath my open-toe platform sandals (which are from Pleaser, btw)? Yes, this is what we have to do when we have a sore toe for no apparent reason but really want to go out dancing. The open toe shoes gave the sore digit room to feel better, but these shoes rub too much on my feet for constant movement. That’s where the nice thick socks came into play. Not too noticeable with a skirt that nearly touches the ground, and I was able to dance the night away in total comfort.
My toe stopped hurting the next day as suddenly as it had begun, in case you were concerned. :)
What's your opinion on Halloween imagery in Goth fashion? Love it, hate it, or somewhere in between?




36 comments:
That's it! I'm raiding your closet and taking that top!!! It's SOOOOOO cute. :D And darling, you look HAWT! Love it. Poor little toe, glad to hear that your feeling better.
Halloween imagery? LOVE IT. And wear it often. Heck, my house is covered in it. Not the super creepy, horror movie kind; rather the cute and strange kind. I love Victorian Halloween stuff and started collecting spin offs, though I think this is the year that I'll begin collecting the originals. And let's talk about creepy carnivalesque stuff -- oh yeah.
Cute top!
I love Halloween imagery in fashion, the cute stuff like Le Professeur Gothique said.
Basically I prefer psychobilly fashion to goth these days and Halloween imagery is alwqys a great add.
Ohmigod GORGEOUS! You, ma'am, have absolutely managed the art of "elegantly and subtly sexy." The PVC corset adds a great naughty wink to the outfit, and I love the bat. As someone who owns multiple skirts and dresses in assorted bat, skeleton, spiderweb, and skull print fabrics-yeah, I'm gonna have to come down firmly on the side of Halloween imagery in Goth fashion. They'll have to pry my spiderweb tights and skull print chiffon dress from my cold, dead little Goth-y hands-and when they do, I'll haunt them for it. :)
You look awesome in this! I like to take my Halloween iconography in moderation. No bats plastered everywhere, but I have a bat necklace that I really like. I've never really got the attraction of skulls though...
Yet another stunning outfit. :} You really are gorgeous! The top is also very cute, yet when it comes to Halloween imagery, something like that wouldn't exactly be my style but suits yours. I rarely wear Halloween imagery stuff, especially not in clothes or accessories made of fabric. I'm into skeletal stuff, but haven't yet got as far as to wear skeletal prints. Bats and spiders don't arouse any emotions in me, they can be nice but I don't have any special interest in either ones. :}
A young Morticia goes to the club. YASSSSSS
I love halloween imagery aslong as its cute(or sparkly)
I just adore this outfit. I am usually not one for wearing Halloweeny type things...but I just adore the bat shirt...glad your toe is better also. :)
you look fabulous! perfect, made me squee XD
on halloween imagery it depends, i like to see them but for my own wardrobe/jewelry they have to look realistic instead of comic cute or tooooo evil.
Love. This. Outfit. I LOVE Halloween imagery. I'm a sucker for Halloween...
Oh my god, that oufit is bloody gorgeous! Xxx
Oooh you are just too gorgeous! I love the batty top!
Pretty much everything I own is festooned with bats, spiders, and skulls. I can't help myself. I tend to lean toward the more cute side of spooky. Even when I try to look sinister I still end up looking like a cartoon hehe.
YES to the outfit! and YES to Halloween imagery!
This is one of my all time favorites on your blog - woo woo!!!! I really agree about it being covered up yet sexy.
I love Halloween imagery in Goth fashion. I'm a sucker for bat and spider motifs. Just...don't be tacky about it and I'm happy. ^_^
GASP! This outfit is STUNNING. Seriously. There is something to be said about being sexy and not showing an inch of skin (even your toes!).
Wow you look...well, stunning for one! This outfit reminds me of something Morticia Adams might wear had she more of a wardrobe than the costume department provided.
I don't mind Halloween icons in my gothic outfits, I love Halloween and everything that has to do with it, but when I choose to be goth for the day, I don't want to be a bad streo type, so I do shy away from skulls and stuff. But I am always up for bats.... >.>....They are the cutest!
Wow, you look FANTASTIC. You are just masterful at playing up your incredible figure. *jealous* :-) (But admiring.)
I am not a fan, personally, of Halloween or overtly spooky imagery in Goth fashion. But I am probably more of a Romantic Goth who just prefers to *hint* at dark and funky passions. HOWEVER, that being said, more power to you. And if I *were* going to wear a bat on my clothes, your top is as good a way as I can think of to do it. :-)
Please keep your posts coming! You are such an inspiration!
Holy shit, you look fantastic in this shirt/skirt that looks like a dress! (Not that you don't look fantastic otherwise, but it's emphasized more.) I love your makeup too! I love the bat cut out and wouldn't consider it Halloween-y.
Absolutely love halloween iconography. After all its my love of the morbid and twisted that got me into goth in the first place. Plus anything cutesy with skulls i love since i also adore gothic lolita and it goes so nicely.
I like to think of your closet as some odd wonderland -- it's exciting to see you try out new outfits, accessories, mixes, etc.
I like Halloween iconography. I don't really care about looking sappy or cheesy. You can find it with most of my personal items/places: my school binder is adorned with pictures of ooky spooky creatures, I had painted fake spiderwebs in my room, and so forth. I don't want to pile on too much, of course, but I embrace a lot of the cliques that come with Goth, and I don't mind :-P
Oh, that is a *gorgeous* outfit! And I adore the top.
I'm a big fan of well-done Halloween imagery in Goth fashion; elegant bat or skull jewelry, interesting fabric patterns, and so on. But sometimes it's really difficult to find pieces like that.
Oh my! I love love love love it all together, perfect! I never thought of wearing thick socks with open toed shoes. Hrmmm, you have my gears going and you may have solved a few issues I have with some shoes I would like to wear more often, thank you!
I am covered in tattoos and I love creepy (yet cute things), I also love Halloween things incorporated into my wardrobe. I try to pick things that are kitschy or subtle. Like I wore a rhinestone sequin spider brooch at my wedding. :)
You looking smashing in this outfit! Elegant, and sexy at once with a splash of fun in the bat top. Personally I love Halloween type iconography especially skulls and skeletons.
I love that top! I like how the top and the skirt are pretty simple and then there's the shiny corset. As for Halloween motifs, I think it can look great if used as an accent, but not overdone. For example, the Lip Service Webutante collection looked awful because it was too much spiderweb print and the design of the clothing looked too costume-y, but a t-shirt with bats on it or a pair of spiderweb tights worn with a simple black dress can look great. It also depends on the person too, I think, and how well the rest of their outfit is styled and how good the makeup is.
That batty is a cute little number indeed, and as big as he is, he fits well right where he is with the streamlined and svelte shape your corset and skirt bring. Indeed as you say, supremely modest, yet equal parts supremely sexy.
I wear socks for sore toes, as well [actually, I wear socks virtually all the time for any shoe... except exclusive beach/pool visits, I think]. Nice of the soreness to come right on your night out, even if it did leave the next day [isn't that always the way?].
Gorgeous outfit! Love the top! And corset, and skirt... ;D
I like Halloween imagery! Spider necklaces, bat earings, Jack Skellington ANYTHING... Adds a playful or sometimes dangerous feel, depending on how you use it. Plus cliches are quite the bit of fun. :)
You look great!!! Perfect hair and makeup too. :) Thank you for bringing home the point that showing lots of skin is not necessary to look sexy. Often, a well put-together look and the way you carry yourself can be far more effective ways to project a sexy image (as you just proved!).
I think the bat top is awesome, especially with the sheer fabric. I never wear skulls (except for a tiny ear rings) or bats, but for a club outfit it fits. I also live the combination with the pvc corset.
Le Professeur, I think the cute imagery suits you perfectly! With your bright eyes and whimsical smile, you rock the spooky cuteness most adorably.
Lynoire, thanks! Psychobilly is one I had not yet heard of. Heading over to Google Images as soon as I finish my comments! ;)
Jamie, lol! Yes, you are definitely another who knows how to use Halloween imagery well. And I love your dedication!! ;-D
Julianne, I feel the same. I don't usually get into skulls, although I do have one cute t-shirt with a cutesy skull animal on it (not the skelanimals that are kinda popular, though). Moderation is key for me, too.
Raphael, thank you so much! For me, this particular top is *really* pushing it in terms of Halloween iconography... But who could resist that little guy? I'm with you, though - what I do like in terms of such imagery usually doesn't make it into my wardrobe.
Tante Fledermaus, lol! ;)
Katelynn, yay for sparkly bats!! :-D
Darling, thank you! I thought I was the only one who doesn't particularly care to wear bats, skulls, spiders, etc. So glad to see I'm not alone!
kakuidori, you are so sweet! I would like to see more realistic Halloween imagery in clothing. It seems like it usually goes toward super-cute, which totally works for some people, but realistic would be a nice change of pace.
Maeam, thanks!!
V, thank you!
Electrobat, lol! You are definitely another who knows how to use such imagery to her advantage. I love your style!
GothBarbie, thanks! You have excellent taste in how you use Halloween imagery - you make me like it a bit more than I used to... ;)
akumaxkami, that should be everyone's mantra - don't be tacky! That really says it all.
Lady Bethezda, aww, thank you! I think I actually feel more confident in this kind of sexy, rather than the exposed kind. It's like sexy, but in control.
AngelShinigami, lol! That made me giggle. You also make a great point. Sometimes it's nice to quell stereotypes a bit... But yes to the occasional bat! I have a soft spot for them, too.
Lourdes, thank you for that awesome comment! Words like that definitely encourage me to keep my blog going, and I really appreciate it. I'm with you - much more romantic in my style usually. The occasional bat just gives me some fun variety. :)
Piper Alexander, lol! Thank you! I'm glad to hear it's not too Halloweeny. I never want to come across as if I am wearing a costume!
Angel, cutesy-morbid definitely goes well with Gothic Lolita; it's a fun juxtaposition with the girly frills!
Tenebris, lol! My cats see it as an odd wonderland, too. They are obsessed with sneaking in and hiding under my long dresses, coating the bottom few inches in cat hair! :/ School binders are meant to be plastered with bats and spiders and skulls!!
Gothic Charm School, thank you so much! Good taste definitely makes a difference. You make an excellent point; *how* the imagery is used is a huge factor to me.
Meagan Kyla, socks with open toes is probably a huge fashion no-no, but fortunately we are liberated from such rules. ;) Subtlety rocks! And I love when such imagery is used in elegant ways, as it is always a bit of a surprise.
Ms. Lou, thank you, dear!! Mr. Kitty is a huge fan of skulls. He has I-don't-know-how-many skull rings, and he has the skeleton gloves of course. ;)
katysioux, thanks! You are right; "just enough" Halloween iconography is key. That Webutante line did look far too much like something you'd find at Party City... :/ And I totally agree, it definitely depends on the person! I see loads of cutesy-spooky stuff on others that I love on them, even though I wouldn't do it myself.
Sir Isaak, I prefer socks or hosiery with most shoes, too. Even peep-toes need stockings, because I can't stand that foot-sticking-to-inside-of-shoe feeling. :) Sometimes I go without, but it always drives me nuts!
Silver Snow, thank you! Well, I think even I would make an exception for Tim Burton characters. ;) I have the Victor t-shirt from Corpse Bride, but I don't wear it often because our neighbor's name is Victor and I get self-conscious that I'll encounter him while taking the trash out, he'll see his name on my shirt, and an awkward moment will follow. lol!
Jennifer, thanks! I think it gives a woman power and dignity to be able to express, "yeah, I look good, but this is all I'm going to let you see!" I love that feeling. :)
linnea-maria, skulls are right out for me, but Mr. Bat surely needs a night of dancing now and then. ;)
I love this skirt on you so much, it looks absolutely amazing. Not that you don't always, but this skirt is just tip top.
Aw, Ms. Kitty! Thank you so much for your comment. *Blush* You're such a doll!!! Big squishy hugs from NYC!
Another lover of halloween imagery here - although I agree, I prefer things that are more realistic or elegant and less cutsey. Currently wearing a fairly realistic large pewter bat around my neck. My other favorite is a silver rhinestone-studded spiderweb. Bats and skulls and spiders should be darkly elegant, not silly and cutsey!
I'm not a fan of spider webs or spiders, but a stylised skull or bat can be very cool. Like your top.
I can't even find my words. This is seriously freaking hot, lady! I'm not into cartoony or overly grotesque Halloween imagery but that perfect, in the middle space is all good to me!
Post a Comment