Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The First Person Who Says Anything About "Blue Velvet…"

Click photos for larger view.


Here’s hoping no one really remembers that old song. Although I do, which is a bit strange since the song is 10 years older than I am… Anyway, yes I AM wearing a blue velvet blazer. And as much as I love it in person, I have to admit I love it even more in the photos. The way the studio lights accent it so perfectly, and it really pops against the grey background.


I was desperately tempted to pair this with either the tiered mesh maxi skirt from Macy’s or my black Target pencil skirt, but I resisted since those seem to be my major go-to skirts this summer. Trying to keep the variety up, but this fashion blogging thing isn’t as easy as it might seem sometimes!! :) I am pretty happy with the sheer skirt that I chose, and the whole thing doesn’t seem as top-heavy as I expected it to. When I wear a very lightweight skirt, I tend to think that a top made from heavy fabric will seem unbalanced. But the velvet is fairly lightweight, and it does have short sleeves… Any thoughts on that from my awesome readers?

19 comments:

Sunduri Das said...

My thoughts are that you look gorgeous. This color really suits you. I love velvet, but never know how to wear it right. Thankfully, that is no longer an issue :).

Mar Qaroll said...

I really like the skirt. It looks very lightweight, comfortable...

Tenebris In Lux said...

Whoa! Just when you were bringing in the grey .. :-)

Shannon said...

I think the jacket and skirt go perfectly together. I love that blue against the black and the velvet just gives it extra depth. And those ruched sleeves are a gorgeous detail.

The Green Fairy said...

She wore bluuuuueeee velvet

ah ah ah...

:)

Madame Macabre said...

I think you look marvellous! Velvet is a very rich fabric, but you make the right balance with the color and the skirt. I think you look perfectly nice, lovely elegant and darkly n_n.

Unknown said...

I love anything velvet! Gorgeous jacket.

Varina said...

I agree! It look balanced from here. I think the jacket stands out against a lighter skirt, but not in a bad way. It's a gorgeous outfit, and I love the rose brooch.

Anonymous said...

What a delicious blue! I truly love the way the velvet adds texture to an otherwise smooth outfit. Very nice, indeed! And I really like the way you kept your jewelry simple with a choker -- it lets the jacket speak volumes!

Hugs from NYC!

Luna said...

I am definitely a sucker for a good velvet blazer, but this one is absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

Stunning! How does anyone get any work done at your office? Surely they must be gazing at you, mesmerized, the whole day. I gotta me one of them jackets.

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Sunduri Das, thanks! You would look great in velvet, especially a nice rich jewel tone!

Maeam, it is comfortable!

Tenenbris, I thought this blue would cheer me up. And it did! :)

Shannon, ruching is one of my favorite things, for sure! It's so feminine, and very flattering.

Green Fairy, lol! Okay, someone else did know the song. :)

Madame Macabre, thank you! I don't usually do blue, but it's really an ideal color for velvet.

Hexotica, yes! And it's the season for velvet in your part of the world... ;)

Sabayon, the brooch is one of those hair clip/pin combos. I bought two of them at Claire's recently when they had a buy one get one half off thing. Well worth the money!

Mary, I particularly love the texture of this blazer. I like the lines as opposed to the more typical crushed velvet. And it is SO hard for me to control myself when it comes to accessorizing, but I'm glad I did in this case!

BettyZade, lol! Most people around my work don't really notice. At most, they will say something like, "Oh, I can see that you are very... creative..." or they will fret about all the black. Nope, this small town is not known for its appreciation of fashion!! ;)

MaggleBish said...

I think the heavy top w/lightweight on bottom is perfect - you don't want too many heavy fabrics at once. The color on this top is lovely. I think it would look great w/grey too.

Traicetrak said...

I am violently envious of that blue velvet jacket!! What a unique item! Very beautiful, and a well put together ensemble. I don't know how anyone keeps up a daily fashion blog. I certainly can't stay on my A-game every day. I like the mix in fabrics. Contrast creates interest, imo.

linnea-maria said...

Love it! I had a similar one in grey and not velvet, it was one of my first clothes matching my black ones in my goth wardrobe. I was 14. It was yelled at me, when I walked in town at night "Do you think you're from London?".
/Therese

SiouxsieL said...

I want to not like the velvet blazer because of the color. But...I love it with the black. I tend to gravitate toward teals or darker blues, but this looks amazing. Love the black flower with it.

Joy said...

Gorgeous! That color blue is one of my absolute favorites. You're right about the blue velvet photographing well!

That choker is lovely! Very Victorian, VictorianKitty ;)

Phoenix said...

That velvet blazer is GORGEOUS. You look great!

Gothic Rose said...

You do goth so beautifully and elegantly without loosing that dark edge. I have been goth since high school over 15 years now (music, fashion, literature, interests), but in the last 5 years, I purchased clothing in colors and styles I was not passionate about, but because friends & family said my look was too funeral like or attention grabbing/sexy. I am Indian & olive toned, so many family members & even people I encounter don't seem to understand that I am goth because there is a misconceptions that people of ethnic descent can't be goth. It was easier as a teenager with safety pins, pvc & lace, but in my 20s I purchased very elaborate Victorian pieces that looked too fancy & looked too sexy in the office. I am weeding out my closet now and I'm keeping my goth items in red & black with bits of white, whether people like it or not. After all, that is the goth spirit. At the same time, I don't want to be passed up for promotion because I am too avant guard at the office, so your outfits are a great inspiration to me on how to balance being gothic, while still looking conservative, but not as if I am in a Victorian mourning period (though I still adore that look). Thank you!