Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Off to the Nail Salon

Click photos for larger view.


Yes, you can see from the photos that I took these before I went for a fill, as I have no polish on. This skirt was originally a maxi, but I didn't think it hung very nicely with that thick, stiff ruffle near the bottom. When I feel discontent with a skirt, out come the safety pins and I mock up some modifications until I find one I like. In this case, it was gathering up the front of the skirt and stitching it in place. About five minutes later, I had a fun skirt that bounces around playfully when I walk and hugs my hips, rather than a shapeless tube that looked far too heavy around the calves.


The cool legs you see here are a combination of black tights and these awesome stockings that are like giant fishnets. I don't remember where they came from, as I've had them for at least a decade. I don't care much for the giant mesh stockings on their own, as the contrast is too much, but with the opaque layer underneath I think it's a lovely, subtle effect. Next time, I'd like to try them with gray tights underneath.


The lovely medallion pendant thingie is from Dillard's. I added the braided trim that it's hanging from, and I made the choker from some fancier trim. I also made the shrug from heavy swimsuit fabric, using an old sweater shrug as a pattern. Funny how the thumb holes came about... Originally they did not exist, but I sewed the bottom several inches of the extra-long sleeves a bit too tight and when I was pulling them on and off the first few times. I popped the seams! The holes landed in just the right place, so I just adjusted them a bit, reinforced around them and pretended it was all intentional.


Yep, quite a lot of DIY in this outfit!! Oh, and a cat! Prometheus missed you all, so he popped in to the studio to say hello.  Actually, he was there first and I popped into the studio and was about to kick him out; hence the irritable look on his face.  :)

LOL, Prometheus!  Couldn't you at least TRY to look happy?  ;-D

Per Mary's request, here are links to more about this hair style and a rear view (sorta). :) Also a link to where I purchase some of my hairpieces can be found in my Magic Hair Tutorial.

16 comments:

Tenebris In Lux said...

LOL at Prometheus!

The second photo is really rockin'. Everything. Perfect. Your skirt, your eyebrows, your shoes especially ..

Have fun!

Sherry said...

Lovely, fun, and exciting!!! Great job on retrofitting the skirt, and what a happy accident with the shrug sleeves!
I really like the giant fishnets. I've never seen anything like them before and I agree that over other stockings they are amazing!!!
Your look is so innovative and, well, just YOU!!

Peace,
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Love the tights, and the tank top is really cute.

Unknown said...

Cute as a doll! A very romantic look, and so pretty. :)

Sal said...

Prometheus, you're so cute!!!

Wow, great DIY inspiration! Especially love what you did to the skirt.

Orillia & Pandora said...

A lovely outfit. The stockings are very interesting. I'll be looking for some :)
Orillia

Anonymous said...

Love the outfit, especially the layered tights and how the shrug goes together with the laced top. Days like this make me wanna pop out off the office and go on a shopping spree. I definitely need more black shrugs!

Kind regards,

Nina

Madame Macabre said...

I love the top!

Minakitty said...

I'm particularly fond of the pendant. I've had a difficult time finding gothic jewelry that's more neutral than crosses, and therefore more work friendly.

I also love Prometheus' grumpy "WHAT?!" expression. I know that look! :)

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Tenebris, thanks! I'm glad you like the outfit. :)

Sherry, you would know. ;-D

katysioux, thank you!

Hexotica, that's a sweet comment. :) I appreciate it!

Sal, the super-easy DIYs are my favorites. :-D Prometheus agrees, too. ;)

Nina, I can never seem to get enough shrugs. Seems like I always need something different to go with every different top. :) Same thing with arm warmers. Good thing they are fairly easy to make, if you have a sewing machine!

Madame Macabre, thanks! The top is from a random mall store, I think.

Minakitty, I agree. I feel lucky when I find a dark, edgy piece of jewelry that doesn't scream "I'm SO Goth!" so I can wear it to work. :) And lol - cats do have unmistakable ways of expressing themselves, don't they!

GothBarbie said...

This is a great black on black on black sophisticated and fun look! LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

I *SO* LOVE THIS! Oooo, why don't you try the big "fishnets" with a deep burgundy tights? I really like what you do with the ponytail/bun? It's really neat how it feathers out. Might we have a back of the head pic? Thanks!

Prometheus is just adorable ... and he looks like he knows it!

Hugs from NYC!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

GothBarbie, thank you so much! :)

Mary, great idea on the burgundy tights. I'll have to put a pair on my list! :) And I added some links to the post with more info on this hairstyle. As with several of my "fancy" styles, I cheat. ;-D

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks so much for the information.

Anonymous said...

Love the tights!

Cali said...

Wow you look so beautiful. I have to say the tights made me sad. Mainly because it's so hot here in ct i can't look at covered up legs without worrying for you. Hopefully it's cooler there then it is here.