I'm bringing out all the strapless and halter tops I own for the weekends this summer. Every year I end up with bra strap tan lines even if I'm wearing tops with covered shoulders. I guess a little sun still seeps through the fabric, but not the straps underneath. Yuck! Hopefully this year will turn out better if I avoid “standard” straps altogether. We won't go into my hatred of strapless bras here, but I will try to find some creative solutions!
Adding the shrug and sleeves, as shown below, makes this outfit more elegant for evening but also provides a bit more sun protection for daytime errands.
![]() |
| Skirt Hem Before Ruching Alteration |
I made this skirt myself years ago from some stretchy burn-out velvet fabric I bought at a fabric outlet for practically nothing. The skirt was simple – I just measured the widest part of my lower body and cut two straight panels slightly wider than that measurement and long enough to go from waist to ankle. Sewed the two panels together down the long sides, sewed elastic in the waistband, and zig-zagged the bottom so it wouldn't fray. I really loved the end result, except the length. Being so narrow, it didn't look proportional being so long. So half-way through this photo shoot I ruched the bottom 8 inches or so on both side seams. You can see the “Before” in the photo above, and the “After” in the photo below.
![]() |
| Skirt Hem After Ruching Alteration |
![]() |
| The elastic in this strapless top is too tight! I might have to find a way to alter it, or get rid of it. :( |





9 comments:
Beautiful :)
Very classy!
Very elegent. I've tried the eyeliner under my eyes. It never comes out looking that good.
ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! (as always) I love the way the skirt falls with your alterations - it really showcases those fabulous shoes! And why didn't it ever dawn on me to make a choker from trim? sheeze ... my head is way too far in books all the time. Your skin is like porcelain - beautiful!
I also wanted to tell you -- Macy's is having a massive sale (50-70%) off of their summer stuff. It's SO worth a look. I got a $69 skirt for $17!!! WAHOO! Hugs from NYC!
I think you tackled it pretty well!
Hmmm .. I don't think I have that bad of a tan yet .. no visible tan lines for me. Which I am thoroughly surprised and happy about, but also wondering if I can still pull that off for the rest of summer. I'm sure when I return to school, all of my classmates will be orange except me :-D
Cooking Chinchillas, thanks!!
Sunduri Das, it doesn't look this good on me for long. I have to check it frequently and do touch-ups or it bleeds into the fine lines. That's why I don't do it often.
Mary, you are too sweet. :) I must say I have gone to great pains to take care of my skin, although I know the horrible sun in my area will catch up with me sooner or later! Thanks for the tip about Macy's. I definitely will be hitting that sale!
Tenebris, it's so hard to make it the whole summer without tanning, isn't it? One little unexpected (and often unavoidable) incident and you can get stuck out in the sun for just 20 or 30 minutes and blow the whole thing. :( I'm learning to be more assertive about my need to seek shade!!
gorgeous! It's nice to see your hair down too! :)
I know what you mean -- I try and avoid the tanlines, but to no avail. :(
Your complexion/coloring is beautiful -- and I love the last photo especially! So pretty!!
Hexotica, thank you! It's hard for me to keep my hair down in the summer, but I can at least do so for the photos. ;-D
Joy, you are so sweet. I had about 15 years of skin problems, so I feel very lucky to have grown into a nice complexion!!!
So hot! And the strapless style really suits you. You look very much like Morticia here!
xxx
Post a Comment