Yesterday was September's Movie Monday, hosted by Sal of Still Dark @ Heart. I'm running late this time, but Sal is awesomely giving us three days to join in.This time around, I'm going to do an inspirational post rather than an actual outfit. I've been sick for 10 days so not many blog-worthy outfits have been happening (yes, most of my posts lately have been from my "stash"). So I thought it would be fun to do a post showcasing the amazing Victorian styles worn by Gene Tierny in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir . This movie was filmed in 1947 but is set in 1900, so it gives us an interesting take on how late Victorian fashions were interpreted nearly 50 years afterwards.
This fabulous movie is available on Amazon. Screen captures are by me.
I was a bit disappointed that Ms. Tierny didn't actually wear corsets underneath her ensembles (very obviously). The Victorian era officially ended in 1901 but corsets didn't go out of fashion until the 1920s. Technically, she should have been in an Edwardian corset in 1900. But she's such a lovely creature and the costumes are so beautifully designed that I was willing to overlook that fact.
The main character is in mourning for the first few scenes, so there are some great Goth-friendly Neo-Victorian looks to enjoy. This is the first we see of Mrs. Muir:
Yes! A cape and a veil:
This entire scene was set in candlelight, so really hard to capture:
Here we see Mrs. Muir coming out of mourning. Even in non-black, her styles are gorgeous in their cut and details. And easier to see in screen captures from an old, fuzzy movie. :)
Ruffle Perfection:
This one is gorgeous, but we didn't get to see much of it:
Possibly the best non-mourning outfit of the movie:
Yes, this one is white (or nearly) but I would totally wear this.
A less formal look:
These shoulders are almost *too* puffy, but lovely just the same:
Another of my non-mourning favorites:
And finally, a rare example of plaid done well:
I won't get into a review of the movie itself, as this is a fashion blog. :) Suffice to say, it's one of my absolute favorites. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is not only visually inspiring from a fashion perspective, it's also one of the two most romantic movies ever (IMO; the other being Somewhere in Time, which is, oddly enough, also set in the early 1900s). I almost teared up even watching this on fast forward just to get the screen captures. :)
For October's Movie Monday, I plan to do my own outfit inspired by this movie.Now go check out the other posts for Movie Monday Still Dark @ Heart. There's still time if you want to join in with a movie-themed post of your own!






















19 comments:
Ooo, excellent taste, Ms. Kitty, as usual. One of my favorite films. I was delighted to find it airing on television when I visited my parents a few weeks ago. Hadn't seen it in a long while. Of course, I had to stay for its duration. =D I eagerly await seeing your rendition of the movie's style.
Oh I will have to check this movie out. I love classic movie romances and the costumes are gorgeous. I am having a very hard time picking a favorite, but I think the first white blouse, above the ruffley one is currently winning.
For some reason I had thought it was in the same genre of silly, funny, scary movie spoofs as "Arsenic and Old Lace" or "Bell, Book, and Candle", which I enjoy but are obviously completely different.
Oh my mom and I love The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. It's such a cool movie and the outfits are fantasic as you have already pointed out.
What a lovely combination of 40's and Victorian style. When I look at the pictures I see both. Actually haven't thought of how much the 40's style is related to the edwardian before, the puffy sleeves and the waists. I have my grandmothers black suit left. Its gorgeous, black with black velvet collar and a figure flattering cut, I use it sometimes. It's actually one of my obsessions vintage clothes (pre 60's). Thank you so much for your comment on my blog it made me so glad.
Hope you are feeling better now.
I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well and hope you get much better soon.
I quite enjoyed this post as I love those old movies and Tierny is lovely here. My favorite is the plaid suit :-)
This movie is great. :) My mother and I have a tradition of watching it annually in the fall. The wardrobe Gene Tierney wears is beautiful in this movie, thanks for highlighting it!
What a beautiful face that actress has!
Hi Kitty,
So sorry you are ill.
But I did pop in here to tell you, Thank you for the memories. I remember this film from my childhood. (Yes, I am dating myself here. When I say I was Goth before the trend I really do mean it.)
I can't wait to see what you do with the look. I have an old walking dress in dark green velvet I used to wear. But sadly the thing got too old and started to fall apart. It was much like the one pictured above where she is wearing the hat with the large white flower.
I wish I could still wear that dress. I felt so Victoian in it. It still has a name written in ink on the inside of the waist band, 'Mrs. Woods'.
Do get better soon.
Hugs, Euphoria
OH NO! I hope that you feel better sweetie! Sending you lots of good wished from NYC!
I love this movie! Love, love, love. Thank you for sharing all the film stills. sigh ... I have to go watch it again. Perhaps tomorrow with my Mom? She loves the movie too. *squee*
Traicetrak, what good luck. :) I have it on DVD and break it out pretty regularly.
Sabayon, this movie is definitely of a very different mood from "Arsenic and Old Lace" and "Bell, Book and Candle." Although I really enjoyed those movies as well!
Hayley, I'm so glad to see so many people have seen and enjoyed this movie! :)
Linnea-maria, I agree; the influence of both eras are present in the costumes. How awesomely lucky that you have your grandmother's suit!! And I'm glad to see you consider "vintage" to be pre-60s. I cringe when I see things from the 70s referred to as vintage.
RubyAlison, thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the post!
Snowhyte, it's pretty cool that so many people have enjoyed this movie with their mothers. My mom remembers it and loved it, but we've never watched it together.
BettyZade, indeed!!
Lady Euphoria, thank you so much for your comments! It's quite intriguing that you've been Goth for such a long time. Sometimes I wonder weird things like what Goths would have looked like in the 40s; I bet you could tell me! :) So sad that your vintage dress is past its prime. :( I can only imagine how much Mrs. Woods must have enjoyed it in her day.
Le Professeur, thanks for the well-wishes! You have great taste in movies, and apparently so does your mom. ;)
This one was right with you until the plaid. Yuck! :)
(Okay, it was better than the usual use of plaid, but still!)
High Arka, I do agree... I'm not a fan of plaid, but this is a more tasteful execution at least. The cut of the dress is so lovely (simple and elegant). I think the contrasting collar on the blazer, plus the lace blouse give it some added class!
You are so right:
These dresses are beautiful and amazing!
My favorite is the non-mourning outfit you pointed out.
I'd like to have a blazer looking like this.
Hope you're feeling better?
Get well soon!
Thank you so much for sharing these pictures - I haven't heard of this movie until now.
It does what it can, Kitty--in any case, you made this one buy the movie. Maybe the plaid will look better in motion. =]
oh! i definitely have to see this movie! :D Looks and sounds amazing!
I like old movies, that movie looks really good. Want to see it... :)
Kitty, bought it and watched it, loved it, thanks so much. <3 Interesting to find something by fashion alone. Also, Rex Harrison's best.
Somewhere In Time is one of my very favorite (favourite? ;) ) movies- I've never seen The Ghost And Mrs. Muir but I'm definitely going to have to check it out! (I must also find that white dress with the puffy sleeves! Lol)
Gene Tierney would make a potato sack look elegant.
To me,she was surely the most beautiful woman to
ever appear in films.
Post a Comment