Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Awesome Kitty Cameo

Click photos for larger view.


This outfit was for a trip up to Ventura for a car show. We knew that Ventura would be a bit cooler than what we were used to, so I chose a layered outfit consisting of a halter top and shrug. Little did we know that “a bit cooler” meant more than 20 degrees cooler! I froze to death. Ironically, I also got a sunburn. I was so busy shivering in gusty wind that I forgot to even open my parasol most of the day.


I didn’t actually wear my hair down for the show, because long hair in the elements is invariably a pain. I am so very thankful that I chose a chignon for this event, thanks to the afore-mentioned gusts. Even with a ton of hair spray, I looked like I just got out of bed by the time we left the show.


I’ve often drooled over items on the Art of Adornment site, but never purchased anything until recently. When I found they were offering this adorable kitty cameo for only $18, I had to have it. It’s not the highest-quality piece of jewelry I own, but for the price it’s perfect. I plan to switch it to a grey velvet ribbon at some point, to match the grey background on the cameo.


I used the grey cameo as an excuse to break out this grey crushed velvet shrug that I made several years ago. This is from a very simple pattern that consists of only three pieces, so even I can handle it. :) The pattern is Butterick B4551 (probably out of print now).  I’ve made this same pattern in four different fabrics.  This is the first one I've shown on the blog, but the others will follow this fall.


I find it amusing that I chose to use a backdrop that was also grey crushed velvet. Not exactly the same shade, but very close. I guess I need to leave myself a little more time to change my backdrop before taking the photos!


How's the weather in your part of the world? Freezing yet? And those of you in Australia, are you enjoying warm spring weather?

11 comments:

Clementine Dahling said...

Love the cameo and the shrug! I actually think it all looks very cool with the grey crushed velvet background.

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog for a while and I really enjoy your posts.
That cameo is incredibly cute and your dress is stunning, your hairdo as well.^^

About the weather...here in Belgium it's simply awful, so unpredictable, sometimes it's still sunny, the other day it's freezing...

Violette B. said...

On my God, it was bloody warm until Monday! As I posted on my blog one could not feel autumn coming. Luckily, it bacame cooler this week, so I am enjoying a perfect Halloween season here in Spain. And that´s soooo lovely!

By the way, I adore your hairdo. I wish I had your skills. Normally, I just wear back hair or some single artificial piece to give some more sophistication. But buns? Those are a mistery to me :(

Anonymous said...

The dress reminds me of Morticia--very elegant (although a lot easier to walk in than hers!) :D

Sal said...

I actually like that background. It adds a certain "je ne sais quois" to the outfit.
The cameo is lovely!
So is the dress. And the shrug is just amazingly beautiful.

SarahWalrus said...

It's absolutely boiling here. We're coming into Summer, very quickly. ;-;

Anonymous said...

Ventura! My old neighboring city. :D I'm from Oxnard and I miss the coast so much. I'm currently in Chicago and the weather here is very extreme. This week's been rainy, cold and windy but it's better than snowy, cold and windy... which is what's coming in the next few months. I miss my town's weather! I also lived in San Diego while in college and hated the weather there-- too hot. But I did live a little more inland.

By the way, whenever you mention going to the clubs I miss Hollywood so much. I used to go mostly to Clockwork Orange and I regret not going to Bar Sinister more often. I never got the chance to go to Wumpscate and any other Goth clubs were too far away (Malediction Society?). :cries: San Diego was lacking in gothy clubs and I haven't explored Chicagoan clubs... yet.

Back to your post, your outfit is lovely. The first picture is my favorite look. I also vouch for Art of Adornment's pretty jewelry. I have the cross on black velvet ribbon.

J.Bane said...

Such a cute cameo! :)
The weather is perfect here in Colorado - high around 70, low around 45, clear skies. If I had to pick one type of weather to have year-round, it would be this. :D

Snowhyte said...

Beautiful outfit and cameo and your hair is lovely done up like that. Sorry to hear you froze and got a sunburn too - doesn't seem like those should be allowed to happen at the same time does it!

siouxsiel said...

I love this dress on you. The fifth photo is amazing. Well done!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Unlacing, thanks! I'm glad the shrug didn't blend in too much. ;)

GaGa_Filth, thank you so much for that nice comment. Sorry your weather is so crazy! We get a couple of weeks like that each year, and everyone seems to get sick during that time. Take care and stay healthy!

Violette B, I'm glad you're having some nice fall weather! BTW, my hairdo in this post is actually an artificial hairpiece. ;) So I can't take credit for any hair styling skills. I just fake it!

Anonymous, that's a nice compliment! And yes, easier to walk in. ;)

Sal, thanks! The shrug is a simple pattern but the panne velvet in silver really lends some elegance.

SaryWalrus, sorry to hear that! Hang in there; in a few months you'll be nice and cool while we're all sweating in the US. ;)

princesadeplata, Bar Sinister has changed a lot over the past few years. I had a couple of bad experiences about 2 years ago and vowed never to return. Don't know what it's like now. Malediction is cool, but on Sunday so I can't go. :( San Diego has Sabbat, which I have attended twice and I *loved* it. There must be some good clubs in Chicago, no? You must explore them and report back! :)

Bane, lucky you with that lovely weather! We had one day like that, then back to sweltering. Today is a bit cooler, so hopefully fall is around the corner...

Snowhyte, yes, the irony.... :(

siouxsie, thank you! I liked that one too!