Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Stop Staring! Birthday Weekend, Part III

Click photos for larger view.


For the third day of my birthday weekend, Mr. Kitty took me to a champagne brunch and then shopping in Hollywood and Little Tokyo. This time, I wore one of my first ever Stop Staring dresses. Since this was a daytime adventure, I toned the dress down with a shrug and some simple lace arm warmers, and again donned the Hue flesh-tone fishnets that are my current favorite hosiery.


This dress has some wonderful gathering over the bust and on the left side at the hip. It's a very flattering cut for just about any type of figure, which is probably why this is one dress they have never stopped making (so far). Other styles come and go, often before I get a chance to grab them, but this one is their classic. It also now comes in a cap-sleeve version, which I actually prefer (mine has spaghetti straps).

Sorry about the cat hairs!  I didn't notice them in time.  :)

Mr. Kitty gave me this red crystal heart pendant for my birthday (which is utterly impossible to photograph!). It came on a silver chain, but he suggested I change it to something with more character. For now, I chose a red velvet ribbon, although I might change it to black later.


I started the day out in my typical black shoes (as seen in the first photo above) but while we were out shopping, I became dead-set on getting some red shoes to complement the choker. I also found a shiny red satin rose purse, which makes a cute companion to my new black one. I took new photos when we got home so you could see the “after” look. The shoes are by Ellie, whose styles are quite similar to Pleaser.


I tried out some new lip stain called Pout Paints by Sleek, as reviewed by Little Miss Metamorph.  I found the color Pin Up to be a gorgeous, perfect shade of red. Unlike other lip stains I’ve tried, this one can actually be touched up throughout the day without totally removing the old first. However, it does require frequent touch-ups and bleeds a bit on me despite starting with a lip liner AND a reverse lip liner.  It probably wouldn't bleed it you apply a very thin coat, and it would still be very opaque but I found it too dry without using a heavier coat. The best thing about these stains is the colors are mixable. They come in black, white, blue, purple, red, etc. so the options are limitless.


I find red shoes to be a very bold look that I’ve been hesitant to try. Have you guys given it a shot? What do you pair them with?

21 comments:

High Arka said...

The choker/lipstick was stunning, but this one thinks the shoes, while lovely in and of themselves, dispersed the effect a little too much. Maybe this one's just more of a neck one than a foot one--the foot ones probably feel differently.

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

I'm going to say this very plainly, and honestly: I am a whore for red shoes.

I disagree with High Arka. I love the combo. But again. Whore for red shoes. Can't take my opinion too seriously. My dream shoes would be shiny red vinyl three-inch court pumps. See, my mother and I both read the book "The Lollypop Shoes", a sequel to the book and film "Chocolat". Ever since then I have been obsessed with bright red "lollypop shoes". I say, if you find a pair you like go for it, because red shoes are sexy, and in the Audrey Hepburn classy kind of way.

Again. Whore for red shoes. Don't take my opinions to heart. I usually paired all my red shoes with very dark outfits, that look very grunge goth with black shoes...but then you throw on the red mary janes and suddenly it's amazing. :P

MissGracie said...

I love all the red bits! The shoes are hawt, like all the rest of your footwear. I am passing word to one of my friends about these Stop Staring dresses, because she would love them.

Anonymous said...

I take it back, this one is my favorite -- very classic Hollywood. I absolutely love the red accents and the shoes are perfect for that outfit.

I really like a nice, deep red, especially with an all black outfit. Red screams confidence and self awareness. It says, "I'm a woman and I won't be messed with." I always take notice of a woman who isn't afraid to wear a red shoe with all black, or a nice red trench. She's someone I would want to meet and talk with, someone who has something going on.

Traicetrak said...

I love this dress, and I really can't imagine it without the shrug. It balances out the proportion perfectly. So very classic. I can find no fault with this outfit, with or without the red shoes & handbag.

Personally, I love the red shoe trend (except I secretly grumble whenever I see them, because it's no fun when EVERYONE is doing it). I sometimes love wearing them as a surprise, lone pop of color. You see me coming, basic black, no surprises, then ... what's this? She's wearing red! On her FEET!! LOL Only now, to switch up the trend, I'm wanting some other funky colors, like some of the T.U.K. or Iron Fist punk pumps. Pink or purple ... with skulls. =D

GothBarbie said...

I need to stop buying red shoes! ha ha ha! I have a few too many pairs! I love your outfit with the black or the new red shoes! I'm glad you bought them for yourself!

I often have red in my outfit when I wear my red shoes (or for a while I had cherry red hair so I could wear the shoes everyday!)

Julianne said...

I love this outfit! Especially the choker, I think it looks great with a red ribbon.

When I use the Sleek Pout Paints, I apply a really thin layer on its own, no lip liner, and when it has dried down, I put lip balm on top so that it's not dry. It never bleeds on me that way, but if I use more than the absolute minimum Pout Paint I get into a horrible mess.

J.Bane said...

The red and black shoes are fantastic! The black dress paired with matching red lipstick, purse and shoes screams classic glamor... with a dark twist. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I just looove it! <3 The choker and purse are so pretty, and the dress is stunning. I have to say though, one of my favorite parts are the lace arm warmers. I just love lace... :)

MaggleBish said...

I've been looking everywhere for red booties and I'm currently in love with a $220 pair - too much! I want to wear them w/an all black get-up, sort-of like what you're doing here. ;)

Jennifer said...

Love, love, love the red shoes! I think they compliment your outfit perfectly. You look awesome, as usual. :)

Jamie said...

Love the choker! The red shoes are so amazing, but I feel my feet hurting just looking at them...I will never not be in awe of your ability to wear such high heels all the time! I like the look of them a lot, I just can't walk very far in 'em. :)

linnea-maria said...

Another awesome dress!!! Except from black shoes I have mostly red. My bright red Mary Janes, my 50's heels in a pink-red hue with a cute bow, an gorgeous pair of 40's wedge sandals in fake snakeskin, and of course my daily used slippers. I think a black outfit with red accents always looks nice! Have a lovely weekend!

RubyAlison said...

I think the red shoes work and the overall outfit, both before and after, is very glamorous. You have really set the bar high for birthday style!

My absolute favorite though is the choker. So very pretty pretty.

Audronasha said...

oh, this dress is just gorgeous :) I must find something similar too. It's so elegant and jet look dark enough. And the purse is fantastic too. I have a spot for unique looking purses :P
It goes perfect with the red shoes;)

Il Ruinante Sir Isaak said...

Aaah~! That purse is simply too adorable~! And now you have great shoes to match.

Personally, something like that--black and red, no matter how bright--is more bearable for me to wear myself. Some people look hot, hot, hot in all red shoes. And sometimes, you need a contrast.

Mr. Kitty has such great taste in jewelry for you~ I love your new pendant. [and the ribbon almost makes it... kitty collar-like. In a good way, of course! ^_^]

Anonymous said...

First off, happy belated birthday! That is one fabulous dress and my fave of the three b-day dresses. You look great in all of three, of course.

I was actually wearing red shoes the day you posted this. Red suede flats with a tiny 1/2" heel to accompany a fit-and-flare grey & black dress. I love red shoes and need more of them in my life. ;)

Your red heart reminded me that I haven't used mine in months! Mine's blue with purple flashes and you just inspired me to make it into a choker. Thanks. :)

Unknown said...

Hey, happy birthday! Your latest dresses look gorgeous! I love how polished your look and photos always are. Keep up the steller work!! x

Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous! I Love this outfit on you. Happy belated birthday!

Lourdes said...

I agree with the first poster. The first ensemble was more stunning and much more elegant--all black with just your gorgeous figure in the spotlight...and then the eye being drawn upward to the red choker and red lips...now *that* was genius. The red purse and red shoes are too much red--the eye is drawn to those big splashes and *away* from your striking face.

The purse and shoes are very cute, however--just add more red up top to balance.

Thanks for this smashing blog! You are an inspiration!

nere-chan said...

The pendant is lovely!