Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Magenta Repeats, and Fussing Over Beads

Click photos for larger view.


This top from Newport News is a repeat, but I styled it quite differently this time. I swapped out the pants for the versatile Target pencil skirt, added a belt and went without the shrug. I prefer the top with the shrug, but I actually wore this a while back and the new tattoo required me to wear sleeveless tops for a week or risk spreading ointment everywhere. Then again, the shrugless look with this neckline is kinda vintage, and I love that. Safety pins were instrumental in keeping the bra straps under control.


I recently featured this hairstyle in my Simple, Classy Hair Styles post. It is one of my favorite looks, although I tend to forget about it for some reason! It works best if your hair is at least waist length and parted on the side. See my hairstyle post for more details! The magenta flower was from the custom car show outfit post I did a while back.

Mental Note: Don't stand on squishy surface when modeling shoes.
Cute shoes are super cute… But sadly, this pair from Frederick’s is insanely painful. All those buckles are the best part of this pair’s style, but the front buckle over the toes just plain hurts. I am going to try adding some Strappy Strips under that buckle next time I wear these. I don’t have much hope of success, as I anticipate the forward pressure of the foot will probably cause the strips to just peel off in a short while… But I will report back once I try it!


The nine-strand seed bead necklace is handmade by me, and the bracelets came from an artsy little shop on Melrose. I plan to make a set of bracelets to match the necklace exactly, but in the meantime these came close enough. I doubt anyone would even notice the difference between one set of black beaded bracelets and another, but I can’t seem to resist the attention to the miniscule details…


Do you guys ever buy or make multiple things that are almost the same, but just different enough to make the tiny details important to you?

6 comments:

Traicetrak said...

Your magenta posts keep making me think of Magenta from Rocky Horror. LOL Association by name only, of course.

Love those shoes! Sure hope you can make them work. And jealous of your jewelry making skills. Sometimes I buy multiples in different colors, but very rarely. Mainly with tanks, because I love layering them so much.

Clementine Dahling said...

Tiny details mean the world to me (which is why I need to stop focusing on them so much.) Can't say that I have made multiple things that are almost the same, but I certainly have bought multiple things as a result. I've got at least 5 cameo pieces of jewelry to match the color tints in various outfits and have several pairs of brownish-gold or amber earrings to go with certain necklaces or boots.

One question for you: how does your workplace respond to your tattoo, or have they not been given much of a chance to notice it? I've gathered that workplaces seem to be more lax on that sort of thing with each passing year, but it still seems unacceptable in a few professions.

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Traicetrak, lol! I'm going to think of that every time I wear the color, now! ;)

Unlacing, I know what you mean about matching color tints. It can drive me nuts if colors are just slightly off! As for my tattoos at work, no one bats an eye. Technically our dress code just says "no excessive or offensive visible tattoos" but we have a guy with full sleeves and *most* people don't even seem to mind that. Piercings are another story, though!! :)

Jennifer said...

Strappy strips- must take note of that...

Jamie said...

I am so all about the tiny details-I will get multiple versions of the same garment in different colors if I really love it, or make several versions of one pattern with different fabrics. I love variety in my wardrobe, but there is something comforting to me about having several of the same thing with slightly different pieces-if I have a look that I know works, I can wear it in a lot of different iterations thanks to this!
And more on-topic, I love the necklace with the top-there is something about the choker style of necklace with the scoop neck of the top that really works well aesthetically for me!

Sunduri Das said...

You look gorgeous!!!! This color really looks outstanding on you. I would definitely wear something like this to the office.