Today is Movie Monday over at Still Dark @ Heart!
As promised in my last Movie Monday post, I put together an outfit inspired heavily by Gene Tierney’s wardrobe in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Naturally, I was most attracted to her mourning attire, and I happened to have a low, wide-ish brimmed black felt hat that would work perfectly with a veil. I had to remove a big, flamboyant mesh and sequined …thing… from the hat first, then I pinned on a sheer triangular scarf and added the black roses.This blazer came from Forever 21 a few years ago. It has a wide sash that ties in the back, which I thought created a slight bustle effect. I didn’t have just the right fancy blouse, so a silk chiffon scarf tied in a bow did the trick.
The velvet skirt is from Gallery Serpentine. When I got this skirt it fit me perfectly in terms of width but surprisingly it was about 4 inches too long, even in 6” heels! Australian ladies must be extremely tall… My poor mother had to rework both of those ruffles to make it fit. And yes, the skirt was originally made shorter in the back than the front (there is a zipper and tag in the back, so it’s definitely on the correct way). I don’t know if that was a mistake on GS’s side, but I thought it looked pretty like that so we retained the effect when altering the skirt.
The gloves are from Greatlookz, and I made the bag myself from a pattern set that came with several capelets and this lovely drawstring bag. I’m still finishing the matching capelet, because I can’t seem to get my fusible interfacing to fuse!
Many thanks to Sal of Still Dark @ Heart for creating this fun monthly theme event. Now, I’m off to plan my December entry for Movie Monday! :)




23 comments:
I remember the post about THE GHOST & MRS. MUIR (such a great movie), and you did not disappoint!! Love the new backdrop, too. Hmmm, which piece am I coveting the most ....? It's a hard call, but I think the hat, especially worn with the scarf that way. So elegant. Brava!
I love your outfit :]
oh and the window treatment is amazing, I'm going for something similar at my place :]
Holy smokes, that outfit is awesome!! And the bag is a perfect accessory to it.
AND I love the setting you used!!
You're photographs are just breathtaking. I'm always so eager to see every post you make!
Such a beautiful outfit! You look stunning!!
Fantastic ! Am most envious :)
I have to see this film now! I love this style! Your mother did an excellent job on that skirt, it's lovely. Your lip makeup is great, I'm in an urgent need for black lipliner now :)
Have a lovely week.
I haven't seen the movie, but you sure look like a vintage movie-star here! The photos are amazing, I love both the black and white and the colorful ones, the background is beautiful as well! :)
Why are you not a professional photographer/model/set designer?! These photos are amazing! That outfit is amazing!
You look so fantastic and I love that you used the lovely window and gorgeous curtains as a backdrop for this one! It has a great feel! I agree with Hexotica - you make the best photos! Your blog is always a treat!!!!!
This is absolutely lovely!.. The colour of that skirt is amazing... You are so elegant!
This outfit is awesome :D It looks great on you and I can see the inspiration in it.
Beautiful, beautiful pictures! Your blog always makes my day :-)
LOVE LOVE LOVE that outfit. I am so jealous... now off to see if i cant semi recrate it in my own closet. lol
Oh WOW! You have outdone yourself! What a lovely, stunning and beautiful outfit! What a great post!
The photographs are amazing and I love every single one.
Thank you so much for being part of Movie Monday once again!
You really made my day with this post.
That's just perfect!!!
I have just died from amazement. You are so beautiful, i am sure you would be a queen even is a simple pants and top como, but with this... wow, you left me utterly speechless.
Traicetrak, thanks! I think the hat is really what "makes" this outfit, and what gives it that Mrs. Muir feel.
V-anity, thank you. Mr. Kitty and I dreamed of dark Victorian elegance when we bought our home, and we're getting there. All of the drapes and sheers are from JC Penny (online), on sale!
Anon, thanks! ;-D
Hexotica, I really appreciate such sweet and encouraging comments! You have a high-quality blog yourself, so I take that as a big compliment.
Grin, Grimace and Squeak, thank you. :) You are so sweet.
linnea-maria, I just use an inexpensive black eyeliner pencil (the kind that is self-sharpening) on my lips, with a good reverse lipliner first. The trick is to find an eyeliner that isn't too dry (my usual Lancome pencil that I use on my waterline is too dry for lips, but great for eyes!)
Lynoire, thanks! The background is my living room. Sometimes it's fun to haul the studio lighting downstairs for a change of pace. :)
Unlacing, that's a sweet comment! Probably because I can only get this lucky once in a while. :) I'm glad you enjoyed this post!
GothBarbie, I thought this "location" (my living room) would be perfect for this theme. I was pleased with the results. So glad that you liked it!
Matilda, thank you! That is the nicest thing you could say to me. :)
Snowyhte, yay! I'm glad I succeeded in the look I was going for. Hope you are feeling better!!
dangerkitty, that is so nice to know! Thank you. I really appreciate that.
Hellcat, I'm glad you are inspired! That's what I love about fashion blogs. Lots of new ideas to apply to what each of us has in our closet, and the end result always turns out unique.
Sal, I'm delighted that you enjoyed my post! It's your theme, and I aim to please! :)
Anon, thanks!! :)
Dirgesinger, that is one of the nicest comments I've gotten. You made my day!
HOLY SMOKES!!! AWESOME, as always! I LOVE that velvet skirt. GORGEOUS! Ed said, "WOW! That Ms. Kitty has some outfits!" hehehe ... that means he really thinks you look smashing! ;)
Gosh dang it, I keep meaning to Movie Mondays and keep forgetting. I need to write a note or something...
That said: WOW, what an outfit. That skirt is GORGEOUS, and I just love it beyond all reason. You look so polished and elegant, as always-and your hat is beyond fantastic. Well done-but that goes without saying, doesn't it? :)
>dying from envy<
I'm amazed that the drapes are from J.C Penny, they look like they'd be hand-made! Those curtains are absolutely gorgeous. I'd consider murder for curtains like that, and they're purple <3 :P I like your candle-sticks, too. Wrought iron candle-sticks and wooden floors are a winning combination.
(This is Carolin, now with a new ID for my new blog, Domesticated)
I'm new to this blog...but...GORGEOUS outfit and photography!! I live very near gallery Serpentine and have quite a few items...but at 155cm I too have to wear platforms for some skirts!
please do a separate photo shoot in this dress ....i wouldnt be able to keep my hands off it .I love the feel of expensive thick velvet.
Post a Comment