Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

VNV Nation!

Click photos for larger view.


Mr. Kitty and I recently spent a weekend in San Diego rocking out with VNV Nation. We usually prefer to see shows in San Diego over Los Angeles, because the crowds don’t seem as crazy and everyone is a bit more low-key. Of course, it’s partly an excuse to spend time with a sweet couple who are amongst our very best friends, to enjoy what is usually some lovely weather and to re-hydrate in the moist air. The climate in San Diego couldn’t possibly be any more different than the desert wasteland we call home just a couple of hours away.


VNV Nation is very new-school for a Bauhaus-loving girl like me, but the driving passion of their music and the profundity of their lyrical compositions are impossible to deny. Ronan Harris always seems to be pulling the very words out of my own heart and soul, and presents them with such conviction and relentless determination that I cannot help but be deeply moved. Nothing beats seeing them live, because they truly appreciate their audience and interact with sincerity and emotion. The passion and enthusiasm are contagious: you can’t help but leave a VNV Nation show feeling like there’s someone out there who “gets” you and nothing can stand in your way! This was my third time seeing them live, and it was glorious. Additionally so because I had the opportunity to meet Ronan before the show, sitting in on an interview he did with my music reviewer friend over at Mental Pirate. In listening to Ronan speak, you become immediately aware that the intelligence and depth in his music are 100% genuine. He is gentlemanly, professional, composed and unassuming, without a hint of egotism. It was a truly delightful half hour spent in his presence.


Not to turn this into a music review blog, but VNV’s latest album, Automatic, reaches new heights for a band that was already worlds beyond what others in their genre are doing. VNV Nation awakened in me an interest in dark synthpop, which is exactly what I needed to complement my love of deep, dark old-school Goth. Few modern artists succeed in recreating that 80s Goth sound, and I needed some new stuff to enjoy and relate to. VNV Nation and their peers fill that need.


I try to tailor my wardrobe to the overall feel of an event, so a synthpop show calls for a bit of PVC. This is a Gallery Serpentine underbust corset, paired with a criss-cross backed sweater from Bebe (I bet Bebe never thought their stuff would be paired with anything from Gallery Serpentine!) and a lace skirt from Forever 21 that I just recently found on sale. The boots, of course, are Pleaser.

You absolutely must check out Mental Pirate’s write-up of the interview with Ronan Harris and this amazing show, as well as his review of Automatic.

What band speaks most deeply to your soul?

29 comments:

Captain Morgan said...

Thank you, so much, for the kind words and recommendations. I also love the fact that we've been to the same three shows and I wholeheartedly agree about the SD crowd vs. LA crowd statement.

MissGracie said...

This looks like something I would wear :) I love the sleeves on the shirt and this makes me want fake hair buns so I can look like I have a lot of hair.

You're amazing!

Unknown said...

You look gorgeous! Such a fantastic outfit.

Luna said...

I have to admit, I'm not too familiar with VNV Nation. I'm more of an old-school gal, though my tastes have diversified greatly since my last listen to them 5 or so years ago. And I do appreciate some occasional darkwave...Bands like Schwarz Stein still occupy a few bites on the iPod.

Also, this is a fantastic outfit--not your usual brand of gorgeous, but definitely fun and still stunning!

Tenebris In Lux said...

Those. Curtains. *_*

Anonymous said...

1. You look awesome ... for some reason "spunky little cinnamon bun" comes to mind and that's a really good compliment. Stomperific!

2. I ADORE, LOVE with the utmost passion, VNV! We're seeing them on December 9 here in NYC and it will also be my third time. My first was with And One! Can you imagine the awesomeness?

I completely agree with you with regards to VNV and Ronan! The last three albums were absolutely breathtaking. "In Defiance" and "Resolution" have been particularly timely for me and my current fight with the administration to accept a "maverick dissertation proposal." Whenever I get lost, or down, or feel hopeless I listen to "In Defiance" and remember who I am and how much ass I can kick for the causes I believe in. Yes sister, I hear you loud and clear! VNV are beyond being a "band," dare I say that they are prophets of a new generation?

J.Bane said...

LOVE the outfit!

I heard "Epicentre" the first time I went to a goth club, and I have been a VNV Nation fan ever since. The messages and the passion in their songs convey a sense of strength. "Fearless" is a particularly powerful song for me. When I feel lonely and weak, cranking up the volume and singing "I'm not alone. I'm not afraid. I'm not unhappy" over and over makes me feel stronger. I've heard that if you say something enough times, you'll begin to believe it. Well, sing it along with VNV Nation and it will begin to pulse through you to the beat of the music.

Concerts in Denver are often not the best because many people have trouble singing at altitude. When I saw VNV Nation, Ronan seemed to be struggling with the lack of oxygen. Despite this, he put his absolute all into the show, and the enthusiasm was obvious. I can only imagine how awesome a show would be when he has "real" air to breathe! :)

Anonymous said...

That outfit is ridiculously gorgeous!!! It looks stunning. And I love the lipstick. :)

Dirgesinger said...

I love VNV Nation, when they were in Budapest I was there...they are more like playing anthems to me than just "effin cool music". The lyrics, the atmosphere... I love them.

Your outfit too:)

Unknown said...

What a striking photo set you've made!! I love the shadows and glow; you look unreal; like a doll! Perfect eye-candy!
I especially love the ruched sleeves of your top.

linnea-maria said...

You look so cool! I'm amazed and envy your wardrobe its filled with lovely clothes. I've actually haven't listened that much on vnv, but, its definitely my loves kind of music.

Nanna said...

amazing outfit (as always :P) and... curtains! *o* Also I love this corset! I've bought one for me but I'm a bit afraid. Because I'm fat and it can get ugly in me :/

Kamyria said...

Uh oh!! This outfit is brilliant!! You looks stunning! And those curtains and black candle pillars.. The whole photograph is a picture of perfection! :)

Snowhyte said...

Awesome outfit! And I love your setting in recent photos also with the curtains and candles, so elegant!

Laine said...

Thanks for directing met towards VNV. I'm always looking for new listening music. Oh, and your outfit is fantastic!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Captain Morgan, of course!

MissGracie, you are too sweet. :) These actually are fake hair pieces - two of them, by Dancing with the Stars (lol; seriously).

CatacombKitten, thanks!!

Luna, I'm mostly into old-school too. I didn't like VNV's Matter + Form when I first heard it around 6 years ago. All I picked up on were the driving Industrial instrumentals, but as I started listening to the other songs, something just grabbed me and never let go!

Tenebris in Lux, yes!

Le Professeur, "In Defiance" was my theme song the one time (so far) that I had to go through LAX since the new, invasive TSA security measures. :) Prophets, indeed! They've been helping me see the path before me more clearly for several years now.

Bane, that sense of strength is probably why I love them so much. I found VNV at a time when I really needed that. What a shame about concerts in Denver! I never thought about the altitude affecting vocal chords. I know Ronan still put on a great show - he knows how to connect with his audience!

Silver Snow, thanks! This is my all-time favorite lip look.

Dirgesinger, agreed! They are WAY deeper than just cool music. The perfect formula!

Hexotica, thanks! Mr. Kitty helped me set up a makeshift studio downstairs for a change of pace. I'll try to shoot there from time to time to keep it interesting.

linnea-maria, I've been working on my wardrobe for such a long time! Thank you for your compliment. :)

Lamentful Miss, Corsets are beautiful on all! Everyone has a different body type and it's just a matter of experimenting and finding what works for you. Different brands fit differently, too.

Kamyria, thanks so much! That was a lovely comment. :)

Snowhyte, thank you! I'm glad the new location was a big hit. :)

Laine, my pleasure! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Electrobat said...

You look awesome! I love the mix of stompy and feminine.

I also had no idea that VNV has a new album out, I've strayed away from the bleepy stuff these days. I should give the new album a listen.

Riskia Velika said...

Oh my goodness! I just fell in love with your dress! The mix of delicate lace and stompy boots make a terrific outfit! ^,..,^

The HouseCat said...

You saw VNV nation live... Jealousy levels: rising :P They are currently one of my favourite bands, the kind where sitting there and listening to the lyrics is required, rather than just glow-stick dancing in the living-room (one of the reasons for LED glow-sticks :P). The lyrics are genuinely intelligent and heart-felt, and though when I saw the Deco style cover of Automatic I feared they'd gone Steampunk with a change in musical style, I was happy to hear they'd actually taken their existing style to new heights (ones with traces of Muse, whom I also love). The remix they did of Industrial Love is gorgeous, too.

That cross-back top looks really good :)

My music that really speaks to my soul are the duet Dead Can Dance... Lisa Gerrard's voice doesn't sound human, she sounds like some ancient being, and Brendan Perry's like an Australian version of Merlin. Their music isn't really traditionally Goth, even though it's from the '80s and on 4AD records, it's sort of... part world, part multi-tracked choral, part early music, and yet it's full of synths and haunting, intelligent, spiritual lyrics... Some of their older music from their first album is more traditionally "Goth" but the rest... it's eclectic done right, without any New Age pretentiousness.

Hellcat said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the outfit. VNV are one of my favorite bands just behind Cruxshadows and Sisters of mercy. My favorite vnv song is beloved.

Sal Kaye said...

This outfit is so ... WOW! :) Love it.

Julianne said...

Stunning outfit!

Jamie said...

Oh. My. God. Every time I think you can't possibly make a more fabulous outfit, you go and do it again. LOVE the way the lace in the skirt contrasts with the PVC in the corset-I like BeBe stuff too, but I only have a couple pieces since I buy it when I see it at a thrift store. :) Simply stunning, as always. :D

Anonymous said...

Wicked outfit! Love this, you look amazing.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not very familiar with VNV Nation, although I know their songs and lyrics, thanks to my previous job as a journalist, writing revives for an underground magazine...I'm more into rock, glam and jam, some heavy guitars...anyway...

You look adorable! I love the top! For the first sight, I thought, it's pretty, then I saw the cross straps on the last picture...now I love it! ^^

GothBarbie said...

You look PERFECT! I bet you were the best dressed gal at the show. I want that sweater!!!!

DIORAMA would be a synthpop band that speaks to my soul ~ in fact the song BELLE from their album PALE is "our song" [Industrial Ken and me]. I even had the lyric "dance with me to the end of the world" engraved on a leather and metal cuff for him to wear.

We're hoping they tour the U.S. soon - we've never seen them live!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Electrobat, thanks. I don't actually do much stomping in 6" heels, but the look is what counts. ;-D And yes, it's definitely worth a listen!

Riskia, thank you so much. :) It's a bit outside my normal romantic style, but the lace keeps it within my comfort zone.

HouseCat, VNV definitely didn't go Steampunk at all. They seem to be going in pretty much the same direction musically, but with more maturity and thought behind each album. I love DCD too, but I confess that I mostly appreciate their older, Gothier stuff. As they went more into different World Music styles, it didn't grab me as passionately. Still *always* great to listen to, though. I even love the movie soundtrack work Lisa has done. You can always tell it's her, and it's always so beautiful!

Hellcat, good taste. :)

Sal, thanks! :-D

Julianne, thank you!

Jamie, awww! That is a sweet comment. You are lucky to find Bebe stuff in thrift stores!!! I'm jealous. :)

Ms. Lou, thank you so much!

Lynoire, it's cool how people within the same general subculture have such diverse musical tastes. No one can say that all Goths are the same!

GothBarbie, thanks! I think I was. ;-D I don't know if I have heard Diorama (probably have in the clubs and didn't know who it was). I'm off to YouTube them now!

Il Ruinante Sir Isaak said...

Concert attire is so much fun. I am in love with your boots~ along with everything else of course. Those are boots I would wear everyday--though, not for the frequent stair climbing workplace days--especially if it rains.

I can't always be sure if my favorite groups have songs for my soul with lyrics that are in Japanese, but I know a good sound when I hear it. This aristo loves the pop-rock-industrial and neo-symphonic sounds of artists like T.M. Revolution, Versailles Philharmonic Quintet, Buck-Tick, and Lisa Komine. Composers Michiru Yamane, Rei Kondo, and Takeharu Ishimoto make sure acoustic keeps up. I love to explore, so I'll be checking out this herr VNV Nation.

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

Gorgeous outfit, everything goes very well together. I had the opportunity to see VNV Nation a few years ago and they were amazing. You can tell that they love what they do and it adds so much to the overall atmosphere of the concert.