Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Fashion Friend Friday - Finding the Balance

Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday was created by ModlyChic.  Visit her blog to participate, or to view other responses to this week's questions!


This Week's Topic:  Finding the Balance

I think this is one of the hardest things for us as bloggers to deal with. How do you do it all and still live, work and play as you should?

When it comes to prioritizing your life, in what place does blogging fall? 

My order of priority is Marriage, Family, Cats, Job, House, and then Blogging.  :)  So definitely after all of the really important stuff.  I'm still not sure where this whole thing will go, so it's mostly just for fun right now.

We all wish we had more free time to dedicate to blogging and all it entails. What are your tricks for taking advantage of the time you do have to be as productive as possible? 

Mainly, I utilize my lunch hour at work.  I work a 4/10 schedule, which means 10-hour days Monday through Thursday.  Add in my one-hour unpaid lunch, and I'm stuck away from home for 11 hours those days!  The only free time I have during the week is lunch, and I prefer to eat in my office rather than spend money on restaurant  food, so this is a perfect time for me to do my blogging.  I also use the time to do whatever marketing I can think of to spread the word about my blog.

Using my lunch hour also allows me to keep my Fridays free for catching up on chores and errands, and most of my weekend time free to dedicate to my husband and family; the number one priorities!!

Have you discovered any short-cuts that make blogging easier or more time efficient? 

Not yet, but I think right now the needs of my blog are pretty manageable.  I am very interested to read how other Friday Friends will answer this question, so I can learn from them.

Do you have an editorial calendar or something similar that helps you plan ahead? 

I just post when I am inspired.  I try to post about three times per week: one work outfit, one weekend outfit, and one general interest article (such as Fashion Friend Friday).   I plan to just go with the flow; if I'm not particularly excited about anything I wore to work during a given week, I won't post any work outfits that week.  I don't want to set up schedules and expectations for myself that will take the fun out of it.

If time wasn’t an issue what you would be doing on your blog/for your blog that you aren’t doing now?

Daily outfit posts, and maybe more general interest articles on Goth lifestyle.  Also more networking with owners of complimentary blogs, in hopes of more interaction and maybe some cross-posting.  Perhaps someday!  :)

3 comments:

Katie said...

I totally agree with you on the keeping it fun part, I'm the same way. I don't want to feel like I have to post something. And after all, it's still quality over quantity!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

That's always a good policy. I know as a blog reader, I sure appreciate quality! ;-D

Joy said...

I admire the way you don't stress about posting every day and have a goal of 3x per week. I think I need to follow suit because I worry too much about posting *every* day.