Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Discovering Boston Proper

Click photos for larger view.


Boston Proper is a brand new shopping resource for me. I've been receiving their catalogs in the mail for ages but I usually don't even open print catalogs, as I don't need any additional temptation. And they are such a waste of paper!!! But this time I loved the top on the cover (which you will see later on) and the marketing worked on me.

I thought it would be months before I wore another item from the red family! I even painted my nails purple as a demonstration of my resolve... But this top won my heart and had to be worn immediately upon receipt. My first impulse was to pair it with a full-length flowing lace skirt, in a very Gothy manner. But I decided for work to use a pencil skirt instead (one of my fabulous Target pencil skirts discussed previously) to give it a more business look.

Even though it's a great fit, the top is extremely bust-minimizing, which makes it very appropriate for work. I don't think I would ever wear it on the weekends because of that feature. ;-D


The black heart pendant is from Michael's with ribbon choker added by me. You can see a detail of it in one of my car show posts coming out tomorrow. :)


These shoes look similar to my usual work shoes, but they have open sides and an ankle strap. Don't worry, I have some more interesting shoes that I still haven't debuted. Just need some time to figure out the perfect pairings for them!

7 comments:

CookingChinchillas said...

Hun,you always have the prettiest heels.You really managed to re-awake that desire to wear a more feminine shoe.And although I shouldn't wear heels,I think I might get a cheap pair that is not too high and walk around the house.Haha now you must think I am completely bonkers,but you always post pictures of the most beautiful heels :)

Luna said...

Boston Proper is actually one of my secret weapons, just like Metrostyle and the ever-handy Newport News. During the fall and winter, they all pump out some fabulously dark pieces with that Victorian edge. Even during the summer, I can count on them to make great blazers and work-friendly skirts.

Liz said...

The color and cut of that shirt are really beautiful! I've never heard of Boston Proper, I will have to check them out ^_^

Madame Macabre said...

I have a similar top n_n. The pendant is beautiful, I really love it :D.

Great look as always.

SiouxsieL said...

So true about not opening catalogs because of the temptation. I used to save them for when I was bored, but I've learned it is better to get rid of them fast.

And I love your characterization of why the top is work appropriate but not evening appropriate. Such a good way to put it.

Jamie said...

Oh, I love the cut and color of the top-I wish it wasn't so hot here right now that even *thinking* about wearing velvet makes me want to melt. So elegant and sophisticated! I haven't heard of Boston Proper, but I might have to take a looksee at their stuff-it looks cool! The only clothing catalog I ever got in the mail was Alloy for about two years back in 7th/8th grade, a gift subscription from my grandma, and I never worried about buying anything from there, because I would burst out laughing at how terminally preppy the outfits were.

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

CookingChinchillas, I don't think it's strange at all to wear heels around the house. There's no reason why we can't look (and feel) cute/sexy just because we're not out on the town. Men love it, too! :-D

Luna, I couldn't agree more. Newport News does have the most gorgeous stuff in the fall/winter!

Aristocratic Elegance, I'm guessing Boston Proper will be kinda hit and miss from a Goth perspective, but I'll sure be taking a closer look at their catalogs now! :) Their quality seems very nice, although their prices are sure not cheap (but not horrific, either).

Madame Macabre, thanks! Coincidentally, I used to have a similar top to this one as well (same color, same fabric, same square neckline and a panel of similar gathered fabric running across the bodice) but the fit was terrible and I eventually threw it out. Then I found this one just a couple of months later. Strange but wonderful timing!

SiouxsieL, So true... Boredom and "window" shopping are a fatal combination! :) Any time I come down with a cold, my bank account suffers as much as my head does. Two days in bed and I'm shopping online like mad... :-D

Jamie, it just got TOO hot here for velvet, also. :( But I can still get away with it at work. Having co-workers going through menopause means I practically work in a meat locker... ;) I've never bought from Alloy, either. I've flipped through their catalogs but I must agree, nothing there suited me at all!