Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

A Bit of Girly Fun

Click photos for larger view.


 Today I am breaking the rules of my own blog by dressing in a way that’s neither mature nor sophisticated (but cute!).  The impetus was the completion of a pair of big lace hair bows I had been constructing, one of which you see here.  They seem so cute and girly so I felt the urge to pair them with this babydoll dress from Forever 21, and decided to go with it.


I wasn’t in the mood for much makeup today, so I didn’t even apply eyeliner. To keep things from getting boring, I went with a pink metallic lip gloss. It actually looks much better in the photos than in person, as the metallic really doesn’t flatter more mature skin. (UPDATE: Five minutes after I typed that, my husband saw the lip gloss and fell in love with it. I guess he doesn’t see the fine lines any more than my camera does. Lucky me!!)


It’s still windy and chilly here, so more long arm warmers today.  These are homemade.  I just took some high-quality swim suit material from the fabric store, cut it into rectangles and stitched a seam, then finished the edges with a zig-zag stitch.  Ok, that's a lame tutorial, but it's a start.  :)

Gratuitous Long Hair Shot
I would not call this look Lolita-inspired or anything (people tend to ask me that when I wear something like this); to me, Lolita is something completely different.  I just call it a Goth girl having a little fun. 

13 comments:

Someone said...

Super cute, but not too cutesy! 'Course, there are limited places I would wear such an outfit for obvious reasons...but for the right venues this is fab.

On the homemade armwarmers, of course, there's always the old standby of cutting them from the legs of tights or other hose. Sure you've done that lots!

The shiny pink lipstick is a nice change. I have Revlon's Silver City Pink for similar reasons. If only I ever remembered to wear lipstick... :P

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Someone, oh yes I agree completely! I should have specified that this is a relaxing-around-the-house kind of day!! I did once wear this dress to run to Target, without the cami underneath, and of course I encountered someone from work. I didn't feel too good about that.

Great tip about using tights as armwarmers!

Emilina Sassperina said...

Bad. Ass. You always look so cool in your outfits! I'm wicked jealous...

This look is very lolita. Love it.

Betty said...

sooo beutiful!!! i love this look

www.glamourtendencia.blogspot.com

Zellain said...

This is really cute. I love the arm warmers idea.

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Emilina, you're so sweet! :)

Betty, thank you! I felt a little self-conscious in it but it's good to push outside our comfort zones sometimes!

Zellain, I've found I need such a variety of arm warmers to go with everything that DIY is the only way to go. Although I occasionally do find really cool ones for sale.

Phoenix said...

This is just gorgeous! Love it :)

Unknown said...

Hey there,
I have just done a post on my favorite blogs and included yours in it! I also posted a picture of yours in the post, so if you have any objection please just let me know and I will take it down. :)

Sal Kaye said...

This is lovely! Really, the outfit is beautiful.
Not wearing eyeliner looks very good on you, actually.

Have a great weekend! :)

Il Ruinante Sir Isaak said...

Yay~ gratuity shots~ not only of your hair [which I am not envious of, nope, not me (snerk)], but of the bows on your Mary Janes~ Those last two shots are model worthy~

Bows seem to be popular for the handmade, ever think about a tutorial post for them? The one you have in your hair looks, in short, cute. But also versatile.

*Covers eyes.* Aah! Your dress! [yes, I do love it~] It looks like a slip [dwah?]. But, uh, haare... that is... NO. I still like it. [and I'll stop rambling.]

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Phoenix, thank you!!

Hexotica, please don't take it down. ;)

Sal, it's good to hear that I can pull off the no eyeliner look! It's unusual for me, so it feels strange... :)

Sir Isaak, good eye for the bows on the shoes. I didn't provide a close-up because Perseus chewed on one of them so there are little pin holes all over. Just gotta LOVE those furry darlings... ;-D

Laura said...

I like the cute dress!!

Sana said...

oooh! I loved the dress!! *-*