Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Rule-Breaking Monday: Sparkling at the Office

Click photos for larger view.


I found this lightweight dolman-sleeve sweater from JC Penney a couple of years ago, and of course the sparkle was irresistible to me.  The first time I wore it to work, another woman in my office was very excited.  She said she also had some things with metallic threads but was afraid they would be too fancy for the office.  I said “Psh” and she started to wear her sparkly things, too.  Made me feel like quite the little trend-setter.  ;)  Turns out another girl in my office has the same sweater but in gold, and she’s worn hers to work as well.  Now we're the sparkliest I.T. department in the world!


This flirty sheer wrap skirt is from a random mall store.  The handkerchief hem and ruffles along bottom edge make me feel even more girly than usual. 



Perhaps the six-strap heels aren't the best choice for this outfit; I think something more feminine with a bow would have been better, such as these:

I can't remember where the super-long beaded necklace came from, but I sure love it.  However, I have learned not to wear it in the kitchen.  When I lean over, it likes to swing into the food (best case) or the oven (worst case).  Sometimes fashion and home cooking just don't mix...  I guess we're eating out tonight!

So tell me, what clothing or accessories do you have that are somewhat impractical but irresistible?



Rule-Breaking Monday is brought to you by:

17 comments:

Rebecca said...

My favorite skirt has a sheer top layer that's very delicate and is continually getting snagged on my boots, the furniture, the car door, etc. So far I've been able to fix the small holes and stray threads, but I'm sure the day will come when it'll get caught on the cat and be completely destroyed.

Joy said...

That is too funny that there's a "gold twin" in your office! It's a beautiful sweater (I find sparkles irresistable myself!)

Love the flirty skirt as well!

Zellain said...

I genuinely love this outfit. I've always been more of a tomboy, skirts and dresses are a foreign language to me. This is something I would actually wear though.

That necklace is fabulous. I don't really have any impractical jewelry anymore. The last of it was a few strands of seed beads in black and red. One night at work I bent funny and broke one of the strands. I spent the next hour between customers picking seed beads off the floor and out of my top. It sucked.

Erica said...

I love this look! It reminds me of the 1920s, and who doesn't love the flapper era? Also, I work in a business casual office myself, so I totally dig it when people wear something a little more daring to the office.

North Meets South

Monique said...

You look really pretty! I believe sequins are very appropriate in the office!

Monique xx

misszuman.blogspot.com

Little Lovables said...

really the necklace adds a perfect length to that sweater. sparkles are good in my book, so fun that now more ladies are doing it too.

Annimalhouse said...

I love your office sparkle!! My office needs more of that, I am wearing a rhinestone bracelet to help make things less drab! It just takes some getting used to from the average dressers out there!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Becky, I feel your pain. I have four cats, so occasionally things do get snagged. :( I have problems with lace, too. Always getting caught on jewelry, shoe buckles, etc...

Joy, I think sparkles might be the thing that will eventually bring the nations together. :)

Zellain, that's a sad story!! I actually did break a strand on this one and had to tie it to keep the whole thing from unraveling. Fortunately it wasn't in public!! Seed beads truly do suck when they fail.

Erica, I agree - it's nice to see anything that's a little different sometimes!

Monique, thank you. :) Sequins should be appropriate anywhere, any time!

Little Lovables, for some reason I've always loved that necklace with the silver sparkle sweater. And yes, I love to see more ladies sparkling!!

Annimal House, I think once co-workers get used to the person in the office with the "quirky" fashion sense, they actually start to like it. ;)

Debbie Baker Burns said...

I absolutely love the shoes you have on...they are killer with this outfit. Your outfit has a whole sexy librarian in sparkles thing going on!

Joy said...

Super cute. It's very librarian meets goth. Kudos!

Unknown said...

I love how dressy your work outfits are! It's great to inspire other people to dress up as well!
Stilettos are impractical but irresistible for me. I call them my "taxi to dinner" heels, because I can't do any walking or standing in them!!

Il Ruinante Sir Isaak said...

The first photo made the shirt seem overly big--and not in the good way--on you, but the other two shots helped me wrap my head around it. Metallicy thread things are great~

More hair styles I like too.

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Debbie, thanks!! I like the sexy librarian thing. Intellect is HOT!! :)

Joy, thanks for checking out my blog!

Hexotica, that's too funny. I agree; can't walk too much (or dance) unless I have chunky heels!

Sir Isaak, I think the dolman sleeves give most tops a "roomy" appearance. I didn't like them at first, but I find them both comfortable and elegant now.

Unknown said...

Preciosa como siempre.
Los zapatos son ideales.
Besos Isabel

Beautiful as always.
The shoes are ideal.
Kisses Isabel

Oh to Be a Muse said...

i like when you add color to your looks. this gray top is lovely on you and those shoes are hot!

i found your blog through the FTF community and I am following you now. would love for you to follow me too.

Anonymous said...

It is well-known that it may possibly insulate and hold steady human [URL=http://www.northfacedenalijacket.org/#744]north face denali[/URL] temperature. Much of the jackets are rated in accordance with their skill of retaining hot in a specific heat amount. Just take a -- ranking being an illustration, you will not be cold even in a minus -degree temperature.On the other hand, ab muscles insulating excellent of straight down jacket involves instead significant washing [URL=http://www.northfacedenalijacket.org/#633]north face denali jacket[/URL] because of around the distinctive materials which the jacket is created from.

Anonymous said...

It is possible to simply discover these products and [URL=http://www.northfacetriclimate.org/#1037]north face outlet locations[/URL] everywhere in the The us, more around there are numerous web sites which makes it possible for one to get North Encounter Coats on-line. Among the list of popular web pages that provide you a wide array of North Encounter Jackets [URL=http://www.northfacetriclimate.org/#608]north face outlet store[/URL] and that is ordinarily viewed as a cheaper e-shop.