Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Sweater Obsession

Click photos for larger view.


I first saw this sweater in the Frederick’s Fall 2009 catalog, and immediately jumped online only to find that they were all sold out of my size.  I checked back every few weeks throughout the fall and winter.  The sweater was always there, but never my size.  When the Fall 2010 catalog arrived I tried again expecting the same results…  But to my delight, they finally had my size in stock. After all of this buildup, my seriously skeptical nature was kicking in.  I figured when the sweater arrived it either wouldn’t fit or I would just hate it.  Turns out it was worth waiting a year for after all (although that rhinestone buckle can snag things if I'm not careful).  It’s a wonderful feeling when an obsession finally comes to closure.

The gorgeous skirt is from Spiegel’s Daytime Satin collection.  My husband got me this black one and a purple one for Christmas.  One thing I love about them: while they are not too shiny for daytime wear, they are shiny enough that the cat hairs don’t stick!  Oh, and they don’t wrinkle at all.  This is a huge plus for me, since I’m stuck sitting in front of a computer for 10 hours on work days.


I do love it, but I wonder if the satin combined with the length make it too "fancy" for work.  Of course, you all know I like to get fancy for work sometimes, but I don't want to overdo it.  So, what do you think? Is this "Daytime Satin" skirt good for work?

13 comments:

Carrie said...

I like your style and outfit! Very cute! Like the site too!
XO Carrie
www.carriefabulous.com

Sal Kaye said...

I love the skirt but I think it's too fancy for work, too.

Although - I'm not quite sure. It might also be okay...
Sorry, I really can't decide today.

Apart from the "too fancy for work" question I can freely admit: I WANT A SKIRT LIKE THIS ONE! It's beautiful!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Carrie!

Sal, I think I agree about the fanciness. Although I can get away with just about anything since I've been at my job *forever*, I didn't feel 100% comfortable (mentally) in this at work. Maybe I'll try it again with a more casual top or something (I'm thinking long and crocheted) and see if that dresses it down... But otherwise, I'll get plenty of use out of it in the evenings!!

Sal Kaye said...

That crocheted top you're mentioning... did you make it yourself?
I'm looking for gothic crochet patterns. Let me know if you find any. :)
"Vampire Knits" was in the mailbox today. The book offers some great patterns but I had different expectations. :(

Sal

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

No, it's store-bought. My sister promised to teach me to crochet next time I visit... She made me some gorgeous opera-length crocheted gloves last year that I'll be featuring this weekend sometime. I'll post a link to the pattern as well.

Destrehan's Daughter said...

I think the skirt maybe a little formal for work with the high neck top but if you try it with a different shirt and possibly sweater, it might work. I know it will work well with your evening and weekend stuff from what I've seen so far!

Zellain said...

That sweater definitely looks like it was worth the wait. Love the belt detailing. The shape of that skirt is wonderful.

Unknown said...

It's fancy but so what? You look and feel fab and that is all that matters! And sounds like you have an accepting workplace with people who admire and respect you so a little eccentricity is fine! :)

Rebecca said...

Wait...there's a skirt to which animal hair doesn't stick? I MUST have it! Most of the time I look so hairy that I'm practically an animal myself. Even washing an item won't remove the wiry, white Jack Russell hairs. I knew we should've gotten a Schipperke...

Lady Lohriena said...

First, I was taken aback by this amazing transformation! Then I was left stunned at the thought of hair-repelling BLACK clothing (does it work for Chihuahua hair too?!). But WAIT! Back up a few sentences... HUSBAND?!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Destrehan's Daughter, I think you're right. I have some other ideas for this skirt!

Zellain, yes it was! :) I'm totally in love with sweaters from Frederick's and Victoria's Secret, because they know how to make sweaters feminine and flattering rather than purely practical bundles of warmth.

Hexotica, I like how you think!

Becky, I had to Google Schipperke... HOW CUTE IS THAT?!?! Jack Russells are adorable too - my husband loves them. We are an all-cat household for now, so I can't vouch for how well the Daytime Satin would hold up against dog hairs (or exuberant doggie greetings!).

Lohriena, HI!!! :) *hugs* Not so much a transformation as just the other side of the coin. ;) And yes, Mark and I eloped in Sept 2009. I think we sent an e-mail... Or maybe we forgot. lol! Sorry.

Jennifer said...

Personally, I don't think it's too fancy for work. I love it! :)

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Jennifer, I'm going to get you one like it for your birthday so you can wear one too and make me not stand out so much. ;)