This Week's Topic: Rules of Engagement
A number of bloggers have questioned how to deal with Tweets, e-mails, DMs etc… from people who seem to be only pushing their own blog. For a new blogger the rules of engagement with others in the blogging world is uncharted territory. We learn a lot about how to do it from trial and error.
- Guest posts are a good way to gain new exposure. What do you think is the appropriate way to go about securing a guest spot?
I would say to take some time developing a genuine relationship with the other person who's blog you'd like to guest on. Make sure it's a blog that is as complementary to yours as possible. Also be sure to offer them a guest spot on your blog, as well.
- Leaving comments is essential to growing your blog. But how can you leave a comment without coming across as ‘Follow Me. Follow Me!’?
Make every comment sincere!!! Never comment JUST as an excuse to link to your blog, or it will show. Also, try to be subtle: include your blog link, but don't ask people to "be sure and check out my blog..." unless you are SURE that it's appropriate.
- We’ve all gotten a mass email at one time or another asking for blog exposure, a link exchange, etc… But the mass emails don’t work. How do you make your email stand out from the crowd?
I haven't really encountered this yet, since I'm still pretty new in the blog world. I do get some mass e-mails on IFB but I think that's an appropriate venue for that, so it doesn't bother me and I often do check out their blogs and follow the ones I like. When I contact people on IFB, I try to make it somewhat personal rather than just a mass e-mail. I make sure to address them by name, visit their blog and comment if appropriate, etc rather than just expecting a one-sided following on their part.
- In interacting with other bloggers where do you draw the line between seeking support and begging for exposure?
I haven't done much seeking of support even, except in terms of joining in blogging communities such as IFB and themed events like FBFF, etc. Definitely haven't begged for exposure. That's not really what I'm here for. If the right opportunity comes along and it's mutually beneficial, then it might be fun.
- What’s one rule of engagement error you made and how have you remedied that?
I think I've been very tactful in communicating with other bloggers. If I have erred along the way (or do in the future), I fervently hope someone will speak up and help me improve my methods! :)
5 comments:
I think we're both doing alright when it comes to handling each other, at least! ^.^
Though the idea of a guest blog... hm. Ideas are bouncing around my head, now. We may have to make this happen, my dear!
Lol ToriBerry! :) Sure, I think we could pull off some guest posts... I've heard that Goth is pretty big in Japanese street fashion so perhaps some research is in order!
I agree with your point about sincerity- people can spot an insincere comment a mile away, and rarely do insincere comments get you very far. I laugh to myself when I see comments that obviously don't apply to the blog or text- like when a post is a group of inspirational pics (without photos of the blogger herself) and the commenter writes, "cute outfit! you look great!"
Thanks for your thoughtful comment on my post, by the way! And as to your advice on linking the URL- I need to find out how to do that. Im not HTML savvy at all.
Tiffany, this page has an example of the HTML code for the link.
http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_links.asp
Look at the first example under "HTML Link Syntax". Just be SURE you always have the http:// in there.
Hope this helps!! :)
You're always welcome to guest post on my blog. At 19 I can hardly post on 'grown-up' Goth fashion and be taken seriously so I'm sure it would be beneficial for both of us!
Post a Comment