Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Another Puffy-Sleeve Delight

Click photos for larger view.

Ok, so it’s not as easy as you might think to come up with titles for these posts every day!!  ;-D


I suppose these sleeves are not so much “puffy” as drapey.  Either way, they are a win for me.  Like my puffy-sleeve sweater, this top is from Victoria’s Secret.   The lace camisole underneath is from Newport News.  Awesome sparkly pendant is from Forever 21.


When I was a younger Goth in the late 80s, we could rarely find Goth-friendly clothes or accessories at “normal” retailers.  I really love that the dark aesthetic has infiltrated the mainstream to the point that it has these days.  In most cases, I can get higher-quality clothing at better prices than if I am forced to go through Goth-specific retailers, plus the pieces are easier to mix and match because they aren’t so uber-Goth.  Rather than buying “Goth clothing” for my everyday wardrobe I bring the Goth into what I wear through my styling choices. Not only does this force me to be more creative, but makes it so much easier to find work-appropriate outfits that appeal to me.  Of course, club clothes are a different story.  :)


On the weekends, I would pair this top with a long, flowing skirt.  For work, I thought that combination approached the “too Goth for work” line so I went with the satin pencil skirt you’ve all seen here before.  You’ll see a lot of that skirt.  It’s comfortable, the perfect fit for me, and it goes with everything.

I also felt that the sheer stockings toned down the look a bit.  When I go all black for work, I think it helps to let the legs show some skin tone.

A Close-Up of Today's Shoes
Yes, I wear either stocking or tights pretty much at all times (except with pants).  Even with open-toe shoes.  I think they bring more sophistication to an outfit than bare legs.  Not that bare legs are bad, but it's a totally different look to me.  My stockings match my skin tone almost perfectly, but they add a sheen and a sleek look that I love.  Plus sheer stockings make me feel a bit vintage!

15 comments:

Audronasha said...

I envy your collection of shoes :)
And I just now noticed how long is your hair. Wonderful!

Sal Kaye said...

The outfit is great for work.
I feel the same about tights.

I also have been wondering if there's a certain age which makes you stop going bare-legged?
My best friend (she's 41) told me last summer that she thinks she shouldn't go bare-legged any longer.
Looking at my own legs I wonder if I shouldn't stock up my own collection of tights, too. :(

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Audronasha, I often restrain my hair just to make it easier to care for, so the actual length often surprises people. :)

Sal, I don't think that decision is as much about age as it is about the look you want and your level of self confidence. For me, I like the vintage sophistication of stockings. Plus they do hide minor imperfections! Most of the other ladies in my office go with bare legs because that is currently more fashionable. It's also a bit more casual. Rather than asserting an age limit, I say just go with whatever you like best when you look in the mirror; that's what matters most. :)

Someone said...

I completely agree about the current ease of finding "gothable" clothes! And the savings as well. Of course, I've picked up a lot of stuff at thrift stores too.

So - a question. As someone also very pale, I prefer stockings to bare legs as well, but it can be hard to find the right colors. Can you mention your brand and color of sheers?

I recently got some micro fishnets at Target that match me pretty well, but you know how they can be to sit on all day if the net goes all the way up to the waist...

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Someone, thrift stores are great! Sadly, my area doesn't have the best selection but I've found fun stuff in L.A.

I searched long and hard for pale-enough stockings. I finally discovered the Hue Lace-Top Thigh High Stockings in Nude. They have a slight shimmer and are the palest I've ever seen. They are the type that stay up on their own; I'm not sure if they have a pantyhose version or not.

Wal-Mart also carries a very pale brand, or at least they did a few years back. I think they are called George (not sure of the color name). They come in thigh-high, pantyhose and knee-high. They are VERY inexpensive, too. I don't buy them because I'm too short for them. :(

Someone said...

Ah, thanks for the note on Hue! I will check 'em out.

On the others - I try not to go near good ol' W-M (plus it's always a crowded circus in there!), and since I'm a couple inches shorter than you...moot point! Ah well.

Thanks so much for the info tho, it's all helpful. :)

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Lol! I'm not a fan of Wal Mart either, but sometimes my husband drags me in to look at toy cars. And they have cheap houseplants (good for me because I'll kill them anyway!) ;-D

Sana said...

Thank you for the comment, dear!
Love your style, dark and very classy... You have a very good taste!
The top is sooo cute *-*

Il Ruinante Sir Isaak said...

Ohhh-ohhhh! I love that pendant of yours~! Silver, square cross, yes~!

Also, your poses today are very classy~ [I see you're moving into hiding your--wait, what is it again? (Shhhh~)] The wine red backdrop does this outfit much justice~

Betty said...

I love yout blog, I follow you now, and invite you to mine www.glamourtendencia.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great top!

You would love a lot of the clothing I sell at work--besides the trendy, sacky-dresses we sell corporate/work clothing, and have a lot of pretty satin jackets, tops, and pencil skirt ensembles. I wish I could wear them to work but they are too nice; my job can be quite physical in working with all the shipments and deliveries! Argh.

Zellain said...

I agree that it is easier to find gothic clothing in more "normal" stores now. Even more so than it was when I was a teen.

I really like this top, all of the gathered bits on it look really comfortable and dressy enough for work.

Phoenix said...

Looove your shoes! Gorgeous outfit :)

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Sana S, thanks! :)

Sir Isaak, yes I am getting pretty creative with hiding that remote, eh?

Betty, I'm glad you like the blog! I'm following you now too.

Hexotica, I should send you my measurements and make you my personal shopper. I know you have good taste! Sometimes though I would trade the nice work clothes for a job that's more active. Sitting for 10 hours a day can be a drag!!

Zellain, it really is comfortable! Unfortunately, comfort usually means the cat hair sticks really bad. :)

Phoenix, thanks! These shoes are not my most comfortable pair, but they are worth it!!

Unknown said...

Nice. I agree about showing a little skin to balance. Plus pale skin makes the black look blacker!